New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just new to the site so it might take me a bit to get uesd to it.

I have never fished for sturgeon before, me and my buddy are thinking about going in the tournament out in Quispamsis on Oct. 3rd. Wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to catch them? i was talking to one guy and he said just put a bunch of worms on a hook and let it sink to the bottom? is this true, if so how deep of water should I be in?

any input will be a huge help! thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ive never landed one but had one on with too light of line and lost it.. Many people say anything that stinks you can put on your line but most just get a big hook and load it with night crawlers . drop it to the bottom and let it sit ... If you enter the tournament you wll know where to go , just follow all the other boats, and pick a spot to fish... there a a couple of HOney holes but they usually already have a boat ontop of them the night befor.. I do recall someone wining a prise one year fishing from shore!! Goodluck may see you there .. Jay

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmmm. I'd be interested in hearing more about this tournament. Does anyone have any details, or know where I can get my hands on them?

I've never caught a sturgeon, but clams are supposedly a common food for sturgeons. Consequently I suspect fresh clams would be a good alternative to night crawlers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive never landed one but had one on with too light of line and lost it.. Many people say anything that stinks you can put on your line but most just get a big hook and load it with night crawlers . drop it to the bottom and let it sit ... If you enter the tournament you wll know where to go , just follow all the other boats, and pick a spot to fish... there a a couple of HOney holes but they usually already have a boat ontop of them the night befor.. I do recall someone wining a prise one year fishing from shore!! Goodluck may see you there .. Jay
Thanks a bunch A2F, hopefully i will be able to get out and try it out before the tournament, is there any special time of day that is better?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i'll see ya'll there!

if you are still looking for crawlers check the street edges at night. the rain and fog is bringing them out, not big numbers but enough to get started.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll see ya'll there!

if you are still looking for crawlers check the street edges at night. the rain and fog is bringing them out, not big numbers but enough to get started.
I got about 75 the last 2 nights out on my lawn, missed about 300, little buggers are hard to catch!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah, I never realized just how fast they could pull themselves back into their holes. Pretty impressive!
If you use a red light, they can't see it and don't dissappear like when a white liht hits them, or you could do what I do. I use 2 steel rods stick them in the ground about 3 or so feet apart and apply some voltage to them, wait a minute or two and just pick up the night crawlers. and it doesn't have to be dark to do it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you use a red light, they can't see it and don't dissappear like when a white liht hits them, or you could do what I do. I use 2 steel rods stick them in the ground about 3 or so feet apart and apply some voltage to them, wait a minute or two and just pick up the night crawlers. and it doesn't have to be dark to do it.
Cool! How much voltage do you use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Electro-hunting would definitely beat the wait-for-em method that resulted in multitude of cuss words that exited my mouth as the speedy buggers snapped back into their holes! I'd say I had a 20% success rate, and that was with a Red headlamp.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've seen the rod method work before though it wasn't me who was using it and it's super cool and works excellent.

What I do is NOT shine the light directly on the little wigglers when I spot one. Instead, when you see one just on the edge of the beam, don't shine the light on it and DON'T grab and pull on it, rather I just hold it down. Within five seconds, the worm will relax, and you can pull it up with ease.

It takes a bit of practice (a very little bit) but soon your failure rate will plummet to about 5%.

EDIT: those little lights that clip on the brim of a ball cap work excellent. Use the flashlight to find them, then turn off the flashlight or aim it away and just use the hat light to see enough to finish the job. Also, good luck to all in the morning, wish I could be there.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Cool! How much voltage do you use?
I use 110 volts right from the house, I take an extension cord and cut the end off peel back some wire and attatch to the rods, just remember to turn off the power before you move the rods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just want to thank everyone who put on this tournament. It was my first time out fishing Sturgeon, caught 2 little ones, 22" and one about 33". It was a great time had by all, great weather and a few good laughs, Will be marking this date on my calender for next year! thank you all oncew Again.!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
congrats to our own kayak fishing fanatic richard aka "getmoresoon" on his win in the tourney. his 52" 33# gave him first place! way to go!!!

...and i got skunked!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Was a good time, my partner had something on that bent a 7' beefstick in half, but he had the drag too tight and broke off. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Great bunch of people on the water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts