New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one having any luck with the sturgen in the sturgen ally area
. i was out last month caught 3 or 4 small ones 30 to 40 inch at the mouth of the hammond mostly large ells:angry: had to cut my line off over and over . at the mouth of darings ilse lake only caught ells

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have yet to try sturgeon fishing, why I do not know. I have a cottage on the Washademoak and just never gave it a try.

I was wondering what type of setup you have for catching Sturgeon. I was going to give it a try using a 3-way swivel and a gob of night crawlers. Am I in the right ballpark for gear? Also I have 2 spinning rods rigged with 15lb braid and a mooching rod rigged with 150yds of 30lb braid + backing. Is this an ample setup for Sturgeon.

Thanks so much for your help, and I am not looking for any "secrets" just a little guidance....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Whenever I try for sturgeon all i catch is catfish or my night crawlers get picked clean by perch. How do you keep these buggers from eating your bait?
catfish and eels are more common and can be fished the same way - so unfortunately they can really get in your way. Another option is to use chunks of fish on your line instead of worms/nightcrawlers. It might reduces the number of other fish going after your bait. No guarantees though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ther are only two spots i fish sturgen the mouth of the hammond river and the mouth of the darlings iles entrance . i mostly fish at the hammond

i only fish with worms/night crawers ues a good size hook keeps some of the small fish off your hook i use new 20 lb or better . 2oz weight with the line passing through eyelet not tied to weight use swivel [ big one ] to keep weight 18 to 24 inches from hook

i only use a 6ft rod [ trout rod ] only way you can see them bite anchor your boat throw out as far as you can sit and wait for the bite

only NEW heavy line and NEW hook will land the big ones 50 plus inches most are about 36 to 42 inches these are fun and the wrong rigging will land these ones . but when you hook a big one you will quote me when it straightens your hook or breakes your line the big ones take up to a half hour to raise them from botttom yuo will one see him once breifly if your using old rigging cause the big ones live on the bottom of the river and he he will keep going to the bottom . if your using NEW heavy gear then the fight has just began now all you can do is hope your pole will not break .

good luck if you see a boat anchored in sturgen ally pull up close most sturgen fishermen don't mind the company an there aint no secrets just good conversation ask and he will probally tell all he knows when they biting plenty for all. mostly sport fish any ways . can only keep them if there 4ft or better

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
6/0 would be about as big as you want to run. most use 2/0 to 6/0 with 4/0 being the most common. some even use size 2 long shanked hooks. most use braid for leader for sturgeon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts