New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just noticed there isn't a dedicated topic on this & figured I'd start one off.

Haven't tried catching stripers yet but looking forward to spending a lot of time trying to do it this year.

Anyone want to weigh in on fly patterns or gear or anything?

I'll start..

My go-to rig will be 10wt with Rio's WF-10 intermediate-sink Aqualux striper & the 26' density-compensated 400-grain line. For smaller stuff (or, most likely when my arm gets too tired waving the 10wt around) I'm setting up an 8wt w/ a WF-8 clear sink tip.

Thoughts?

ww

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey guys, just noticed there isn't a dedicated topic on this & figured I'd start one off.

Haven't tried catching stripers yet but looking forward to spending a lot of time trying to do it this year.

Anyone want to weigh in on fly patterns or gear or anything?

I'll start..

My go-to rig will be 10wt with Rio's WF-10 intermediate-sink Aqualux striper & the 26' density-compensated 400-grain line. For smaller stuff (or, most likely when my arm gets too tired waving the 10wt around) I'm setting up an 8wt w/ a WF-8 clear sink tip.

Thoughts?

ww
Sounds like you know what your doing by your set ups. I would recommend getting a floating line as well to make it a little easier with quick retrieves and big flies in less deep waters. Clousers, deceivers and dalbergh divers work well. Typical colors of course. I had good luck with some epoxy head flies I made. I would cut mylar into the shape of a fish head, tie it in over the wing, glue eyes on and cover in epoxy. They were durable, cast well, sink good and have nice action. Just think anything that looks like a baitfish or eel.

A stripping basket is a big help too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you know what your doing by your set ups. I would recommend getting a floating line as well to make it a little easier with quick retrieves and big flies in less deep waters. Clousers, deceivers and dalbergh divers work well. Typical colors of course. I had good luck with some epoxy head flies I made. I would cut mylar into the shape of a fish head, tie it in over the wing, glue eyes on and cover in epoxy. They were durable, cast well, sink good and have nice action. Just think anything that looks like a baitfish or eel.

A stripping basket is a big help too.
Thanks for the tips!

I have a WF-8F saltwater line on another reel; just forgot about mentioning it in the previous post (I'm getting too much gear, it seems). I'm holding off on a 10wt floater for the time being. (Another) new line vs. gas & roadtrip snacks for the weekend...new line loses this time

I just picked up the ingredients to make a stripping basket & will be posting instructions/materials/how-to pics on my blog when I make it. This cost me roughly $12, which certainly beats the $40-$70 some companies sell the things at.

Hopefully see you on the water at some point soon!

ww

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
giant tiger has a basket/tub in their gardening area, looked perfect for striping into.
i've had to take a break from striper fly tieing to make more black salmon flies, but some of those will work for stripers too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
one other thing about stripers on the fly is the retrieve.... very important. I've caught lots of fish on dead drifts surprisingly, however I've missed a lot of fish just doing a single handed strip. For active fish, you really have to tuck your rod under your arm pit and do the two handed retrieve. Set the hook with your hands on the line and do a quick transition to your rod while keeping one hand on the line. Be prepared to go back to this method to quickly pick up line during a head on run if you don't have a large arbor or multiplier reel... sometimes they stil don't pick up the line quick enough.

Also, leader length can be tricky to find a balance with... on one hand you want a short leader to turn over your fly and on the other you need some length to keep mr striper from seeing your line. I always read about guys using 14lb and less for tippets... they can go to heck with that. Go 20lb at minimum and it would be a good idea to have a shock leader of 30-40lb fluorocarbon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

I just completed my homemade stripping basket, and put the steps & material in my blog post.

I can't quite remember the policy on sharing links (and am short on time (& too lazy) to look) but the web address is www (dot) 411number3 (dot) net; and is also on my profile page here on the forum.

Hope a few people find this helpful!

ww

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL...even at cost, I don't think it would beat the price (& high quality craftsmanship) of my homemade stripping basket

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking about doing a little exploratory mission to the seashore (bayshore?) this week. Gonna take along my 8wt w/ clear sink tip line, a few clousers & deceivers...

I know things are a long shot this early, but should I bring along any other flies??

This is more a study in tides than anything else, but might as well sling some line while I'm there...

ww

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thinking about doing a little exploratory mission to the seashore (bayshore?) this week. Gonna take along my 8wt w/ clear sink tip line, a few clousers & deceivers...

I know things are a long shot this early, but should I bring along any other flies??

This is more a study in tides than anything else, but might as well sling some line while I'm there...

ww
Seeing how they are nailing a few stripers in the Belleisle,you might want to try the junction at Hampton and work you're way across to Sturgeon Alley,If you time the tides right you can use the current to your advantage instead of casting your arm off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts