New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is any striper fishing in the greater moncton area like shediac?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I believe u cant fish stripers in the Shediac area, u have to be south of Moncton towards Alma. I dont know the fishing area #'s off the top of my head, so u will have to check the fishing guide.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
striper fishing is closed in the northumberland strait and all of the east coast of nb. the stripers on this side were the last to come back after the big drop in the 80's. hopefully this may change soon since the natives restocked the st. lawerance and they are expanding back down from the gaspe. the miramiche locals are complaining about them being back in numbers there too but this is a native fish coming back in numbers, not illegal stocking (the st/ lawerance restocking was also legal - feds told them it wouldn't work, then now are argueing over who sets the rules now that it worked...!) it's hard to tell if the miramiche ones were even effected by the restocking, it appears they are simpley coming back themselves. since they lay so many eggs, just a few years of success produces large numbers of fish. oddly, there has been a commercial striper fishery in pei for nb stripers the whole time, and worst, for schoolies, not mature fish. this may have been keeping the miramiche striper numbers down...and giving them access to salmon as a bycatch...!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
striper fishing is closed in the northumberland strait and all of the east coast of nb. the stripers on this side were the last to come back after the big drop in the 80's. hopefully this may change soon since the natives restocked the st. lawerance and they are expanding back down from the gaspe. the miramiche locals are complaining about them being back in numbers there too but this is a native fish coming back in numbers, not illegal stocking (the st/ lawerance restocking was also legal - feds told them it wouldn't work, then now are argueing over who sets the rules now that it worked...!) it's hard to tell if the miramiche ones were even effected by the restocking, it appears they are simpley coming back themselves. since they lay so many eggs, just a few years of success produces large numbers of fish. oddly, there has been a commercial striper fishery in pei for nb stripers the whole time, and worst, for schoolies, not mature fish. this may have been keeping the miramiche striper numbers down...and giving them access to salmon as a bycatch...!
What type of fishing is there in the northumberland strait??

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
salmon, mackeral, trout, flat fish. be careful of the rules for salmon and trout. lots of other species to catch too. for salmon and trout you still will have to follow the nb regs for fish for that area, even though it's salt water. there is a major mackeral run starting about the first of august.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
salmon, mackeral, trout, flat fish. be careful of the rules for salmon and trout. lots of other species to catch too. for salmon and trout you still will have to follow the nb regs for fish for that area, even though it's salt water. there is a major mackeral run starting about the first of august.
thanks for all of the replys.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
The only things you'll catch in the Northumberland Strait are mackerel(anywhere about 1km offshore and around the Richibucto gas buoy) and cod (if you go far enough, like sail to the gas buoy, and keep going until you don't see land anymore).

If you're after trout, you have to go way inland in the upper stretches of rivers, waaay out of reach from tidal waters. As for salmon, you can only fish them in the Miramichi system and north of there (Restigouche area).

Other saltwater species you can catch in tidal waters include: yellow perch, smelt, tommy cod, various flatfish. The only problem is you will have difficulty catching these, because you'll likely have a striper on before you can get deep enough, which you will have to release.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stripers are there; the only legal place to target them is in the Bay Of Fundy system.I know guys were gettin schoolies last year in Shediac with Mackerel jigs.I have friends in PEI who caught several Stripers last year fishin sea trout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts