New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys never been out striper fishing but I live in Quispamsis and was wondering if anyway would mind getting me started!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
are you looking to fish from a boat, kayak, or shore? do you have any striper gear?
i would have to charge from a kayak - that`s how i make a living now, but i would give you a discount. from shore - bigger discount. from your boat - no charge!
maybe we can get a group together. they are here and hitting. i have already landed a 37" in my kayak...

·
Registered
50 Posts
are you looking to fish from a boat, kayak, or shore? do you have any striper gear?
i would have to charge from a kayak - that`s how i make a living now, but i would give you a discount. from shore - bigger discount. from your boat - no charge!
maybe we can get a group together. they are here and hitting. i have already landed a 37" in my kayak...
Hi Ipop:

Newbie here out of Moncton planning on fishing St. John river. Caught some years ago, but have not fished for the last 20 some years. If don't mind me asking, what are you charging for a day out. I have a 17' fishing boat, need a place to drop off, maybe we can talk. Thanks

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sorry for the late reply 2CAV.
i`m not sure if i can say my rates here without getting into to the advertising ban, but i will send you a pm. are you looking to fish from the kayaks or from your 17`?

·
Registered
54 Posts
well ipop im sorry to in form you, i think i might not be taking you up on the offer since i msged you i have good success. ive landed a 25" ,26" and tonight catch my biggest yet and first keeper an 32" 15lbs caught on cut bait....

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
well done stripednewguy! let me know if you do want to go out later, perhaps in the kayaks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
stripednewguy: what was the cut bait you were using, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, away from the site for a few days...thanks for the info stripednewguy. I had good luck with full sized fresh herring a few years ago, but hard to find now...everything is salted..lol May pick some up from Grand Manan next time I go down. Thinking of making an eel trap too..not that hard just netting and some plastic pipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys heading down to the falls tonight if anyone is interested in heading down

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Ipop. I've been following the striper posts from some time. I'd love for you to come with my buddy and I in my boat so we could go try the falls... Could you send me a message so we could exchange contact information maybe??

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry, away from the site for a few days...thanks for the info stripednewguy. I had good luck with full sized fresh herring a few years ago, but hard to find now...everything is salted..lol May pick some up from Grand Manan next time I go down. Thinking of making an eel trap too..not that hard just netting and some plastic pipe.
I wouldn't make an eel trap without having the proper licence for eels. I built a beauty of an eel trap out of stainless steel pipe (24" diameter pipe cut into 1/2 wide rings) and galvanized mesh when I was younger. It was about 5-6 feet long. Anyhow, I was so excited about building it and trying it out, I never thought about the regulations etc. So, I brought it home and the next day, the old man had broke it apart. He could have just said something, but he knew I would have put it out in the river anyways. Probably a good thing he did.

It is much cheaper and easier to buy them from the fishermen. Especially if the fishing is slow and they don't have enough in their holding tanks to send overseas and you get them on the river, then the price is much more reasonable

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey Ipop. I've been following the striper posts from some time. I'd love for you to come with my buddy and I in my boat so we could go try the falls... Could you send me a message so we could exchange contact information maybe??
I"m glad that all you "newbees" are interested in getting into the striper craze,but let's start with learning the proper etiquite when you are down at the falls. I heard there was quite the "incident" down there the other night with guys trying grab the bhoys in front of some of the guys that had been waiting for over an hour for the tide to subside a bit so that they could tie up.Also, unless you know the proper way to tie up with both a bow line AND a stern line to another boat,then all you are going to do is drag the other boat up against the shoreline and ruin everyone's fishing.And when you are finally tied up letting your lures drift down in front of the boats down current from you resulting in crossed lines and bad tempers.You have to use common sense and show a little courtesy down there,.It's tricky enough fishing in that back current at the best of times,but no one wants to spend the whole trip down there untangeling someone's line time after time.You have the whole river in front of you to cast to,the bass aren't all stacked up in front of the boat down river,even if they are catching a few and you aren't. And the No.1 rule is "first come,first served" when it comes to grabbing a bhoy.If you see another boat tied up to the Irving barge or sitting in the over in the calmer water beside the mill,it means that they are waiting for the tide to drop a bit so they can tie up.DON'T jump in front and try and beat them to the tie up,let them decide where they want to tie up first,then take what's left.If there are no more bhoys available,maybe they will let you tie off the end of their boat,but ASK first,don't just assume.If not ,then guess what! You will have to find another area to fish,try out around the islands or in the coves or up by the barges. Next time you go down,get there a little earlier,maybe you will luck out and grab a bhoy.The main thing is show the proper courtesy down there before someone gets hurt,it's a dangeruos enough place down there without adding the temper equation to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks GMAC. That's why I want someone to go with a couple of times. I've for stripers lots in the US and have caught some big ones, so I'm really looking forward to trying it out in SJ. I thought I'd go out a couple of times to see if there was ever anytime with no one there (I'm on vacation for a little while, so would try different times). I probably wouldn't have thought that if there were boats around and not tied up, maybe they were just waiting for the tide. I'm glad you pointed that out. That's why I love this site!!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Some of the guys that fish at the Pulp Mill are just plain ignorant drunk poachers, so they are going to be as rude as they can to keep you away so there are no witnesses. It's really funny when they let their lure drift into your line and your jigging vertically beside your own boat, then try to curse you out... idiots!

Like GMAC says, ettiquette is a must. Casting in a sequence helps too, ie the boat furthest down cast first, then the next upstream etc. However, I know when I fish from shore at M&G's, there is a certain height of the tide where the current moves and you'll get one or two crossed lines in a row then, everyone will adapt and usually be good for the rest of the night. Tangles are inevitable when you have fast current and lots of anglers. I once caught a fella's line who was the first boat upstream and let his lure run in the current down from my boat, so I reeled in and while untangling my lure from his line, felt a hit, set the hook and handlined the fish until he picked up the slack... turned out to be a 25lb'er and the biggest fish anyone caught that night.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
rick, i sent you a pm.
i guess i have been lucky at the mill this year - no reel problems..lol

i only hooked up with some one else twice last time out - not bad. i`ve been there when jimmie only had 2 casts where he didn`t get hung up with some one else...and he didn`t lose it. i take a selection of gear there so i can adjust to the people beside me. iot`s easy if there are a lot of stripers running, much harder on you when they are being tight mouthed. i only have half of a fillett left - time to go striper fishing again! this time last year was awesome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there I am somewhat new to the area and was wondering where the best spots from shore are to fish by the falls? I got some striper equipment a couple months ago and went down on the dock by the restaurant and tried it out, is that a good place to fish or are the best spots above the falls? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the dock and the cove beside it can be good, but has been off and on for the last 2 years, mostly getting some good size but not great numbers lately. the shuttle dock is certainly the most comfortable place to fish stripers here. there are a number of other spots above the falls and a couple more below it. the sea wall in the north end at the end of main st. just off of bridge st. is an easy place to fish, while the island and point below it and the point above it are good spots that are tricky to fish, eating a lot more gear. the coast guard/harbour bridge area can be fun but watch the very slippery rocks.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts