New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't belive it. Today I was fishing for mackerel like I usually do when I come up to NB, and instead I hooked into a striper.

I was right along the rocks fishing with a mackerel jig. Needless to say he put up one hell of a fight. Here is one picture.

There are a few other pictures here http://www.youhuntandfish.com/fishing/fishingstories/72

How long have stripers been up here in the strait? I released all that I caught as I'm sure there are regulations for keeping them. Anyone have a link on the regulations? I searched around but couldn't find much.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they have the regs posted on signs in some of the busier striper spots on the east coast. it`s the same as the one for salmon on the bay of fundy tributaries - up to $5000 fine. i think they just switch the names for the different locations...lol! with the numbers up for both, maybe we will see some reg changes soon. i bet they will open the stripers on the east coast way before they open the fundy salmon fishing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I'll stay away from stripers for now. Hopefully next year they'll be some spots where you can fish for them. They're one hell of a sport fish.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
There have been stripers in the Northumberland Strait since like forever. Even when they shut it down, there were still tons of them there. There are so many now, it's not even funny!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i had a striper take a standard red and white mackerel rig this weekend past on the east coast. just a little guy. i was fishing from shore and had just started to talk to a couple people, the bite had really slowed down and i had just proped my rod up on a stick. the `bell` on the reel lived up to it`s name, ringing off the pebbles as it fell over. i started running! it started ringing and sraping down the beach! luckily we arrived at the water together, and i just got a little wet grabbing it. when it turned out to be a little 22" or so striper instead of a couple big fat macks, i was quite surprised. he released easy once i convinced him that the beach wasn`t the way to go...lol!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been fishing for stripers for as long as I can remember! Before they closed striper fishing about 16,18 years ago? Or something like that! I also fish for mackerel and I have caught,as a by catch, many stripers ranging from four or five inches, to twenty eight inches! I remember when I was just a kid,and going to my grand parents house, and seeing striped bass thirty pounds, and that was a regular site! It wasn't that long ago either! About 30 years! The striped bass in the Fundy area and the ones in the gulf of St-Laurence are two different families. I'm sure that some migrate from here,around Nova-Scotia and on to Fundy! The world line class record was beaten this august, it now stand at 81.88 lbs.Also some have been recorded at 125 lbs. but were not a record because they were caught in government weirs,and weren't fished with rod and line.Long story short, striped bass have been in the straight for many,many,many,many,many years.

I just hope that they reopen the season for stripers soon! It is a great fighting, tasting, and all around wonderful sport fish!

Tight lines,be careful,and great fishing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts