New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
881 - 900 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to know... I know that many fishermen use Mackerel as bait.... is Smelt is also legal for bait... and if yes is it good ? I can't find it on MPO web site...

Many thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was out today for the first time this year. Three bites, three fish. Not the best day but it was still awesome. I fished from a boat but saw a couple guys fishing strawberry marsh, a couple people under the old train bridge and a family beside the old building that looks like it's falling into the river in Nelson. I didn't hang around long enough to see if anyone was catching anything.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was up there April 30th and all the ice was out then. We were up there again today and the three of us landed about 40 fish. Most were schoolies but we also let go a handful of keepers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We were there today 7 am -12:30. Landed one giant. A lot of small schools on sonar and livescope cruising around, but very hard to get them to take anything from swim baits, jigs and bait. It's a bit of a cold front so probably has them shut down pretty good. Guys in afternoon May have done better once things warmed up a bit.
We were in Ritchies Wharf area.
Very few rods were bending today all around us. Didn't see another fish caught.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We were up at eagles nest yesterday where we did pretty good on Sunday, no bites so we went down to Ritchie wharf for a bit drifting and nothing. We then went down to Loogieville where we caught four fish in a half hour. Many boats were hooking up. I talked to one guy and he told me it was better an hour ago. Once the tide went out it stopped so we went back up by Nelson looking for fish, we saw some on the sonar but no bites. Cooler temperatures and rain in the forecast could make it a tough week or two.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Was up today for a few hours. Fish are there. Can see schools of 10-20 fish on livescope and sonars.
They are still lockjawed pretty good. Water very cold still at 44.5 f
A lot of boats, no rods bending.
Fished Nelson, Ritchies, Beaubears, strawberry.
We didn't manage a fish and I was bouncing every jig, swim bait and bait right on the noses of fish.
They simply aren't eating yet.
After 4 hours, I called it.
Need a couple warm days to get water temp up to 48-50 f.
If others could share water temps after outings to help others travelling distances to not waste Trudeau Carbon Tax gas and time.

Tight lines folks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you Fishmayhem. I am planning to launch into the Mirimichi next Wed, Thurs prior to the Friday tournament.

Any idea if the fish will be feeding on swimbaits or live herring then?

It would be crazy if the tournament went on when no fish were biting!

Regular updates to this group would be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey bassbrothers
Fish will be biting by tournament
The weather starts to warm up this Friday and continues to stay warm during daytime. I'm sure by Sunday or Monday fish will be crushing everything. I'm there on Monday, so I'll have a better idea.
Swim baits, sand eals and various others will work and you can cover water. Bait always works but limits your movements. The schools are on the move always this time of year until they settle in for the spawn at 55F.
It's best to be mobile, use your electronics to follow them around depending on how you're set up. Eliminate void water.
Schools aren't hard to find, but rather hard to stay on top of. If you can stay on top of them, follow their movement, you'll be on them all day.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
216 Posts
We were 4 boats up there Tuesday and Wednesday. We landed just under 300 fish. As everyone knows the weather is beautiful so we earned every fish. We bounced swim baits off the bottom. I came home to repack and will head back up for the weekend. Fishmayem is right the schools haven't moved in yet but should be pretty soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any good spots to fish from shore this weekend? I am looking for a spot to take my son. I have fished strawberry marsh a few times in the past and it can be hit and miss.

Thanks!

881 - 900 of 927 Posts