New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After not posting or making a comment on the site since the fall of 2018 I’m back. Didn’t fish bass in rhe spring of 2019 so didn’t log onto the site then forgot my password. Tried resetting it a few times in past couple years but could never get it to reset till today. So now that I’m able to log into the site again I will post regular updates on striper fishing mainly in the Red Bank/Cassillis area on the Northwest Miramichi as that’s where I do the majority of my bass fishing. Fall fishing for stripers should begin very soon with some bass beginning to leave the salt water along the coast to head back upriver to the Miramichi in the next week or so. Fall fishing usually begins around the end of the first week of Sept and gets better towards late Sept and Oct. Fall bass can be caught from Loggieville/Douglastown area all the way up to Red Bank. The thing I like most about fishing fall stripers on the Miramichi is how much stronger the fall stripers are compared to the stripers in April, May and June. Because fall stripers have been feeding heavily all summer they are heavier, thicker across the back and deeper in the belly than spring stripers so are a much stronger fish.
Can’t wait to hook my first fall striper and will let yas know when I do.
Good to be back on the site

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even though it’s only August and I usually don’t start fishing bass in Red Bank until about mid Sept I was bored yesterday eve so decided to give it a try. Fished on the Sunny Corner end of the Red Bank bridge and had just cast my bait rig baited with smelts out and was rigging up my second rod when a bass took my bait. Bait had only been in the water for 2 or 3 mins so it didn’t take long. Landed a nice little bass close to 60cms and quickly released it. Ended up fishing for almost 2 hours and ended up landing 6 bass and losing 2 or 3 more. August 27th is the earliest I have ever caught fall bass in Red Bank. These bass were most likely bass that chose to spend the summer in the river instead of heading out to the cooler salt water along the coast. All the bass I landed were around 50 to 60cms, were nice and fat and all put up a pretty good fight. I was using double bait rigs baited with chunks of smelt. The fall bass fishing season has begun!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Brother it is awesome to see you back on the site!!! So looking forward to the updates and I'll be heading that way for a couple adventures this fall! Hope all is well Norman and stay safe my friend!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fished on Tuesday evening and fishing was good for this early in the season. Water temp was in the high 60s and was seeing quite a few single fish on the finder and even a few small schools of fish. Fished in the evening from about 7pm till 930 and landed about a dozen with the largest going about 10 pounds. Ran out of smelts so was using gaspereau for bait and it worked very well. Fishing is only going to get better in the coming weeks with more bass coming back to the river from the salt water along the coast.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fished on Tuesday evening and fishing was good for this early in the season. Water temp was in the high 60s and was seeing quite a few single fish on the finder and even a few small schools of fish. Fished in the evening from about 7pm till 930 and landed about a dozen with the largest going about 10 pounds. Ran out of smelts so was using gaspereau for bait and it worked very well. Fishing is only going to get better in the coming weeks with more bass coming back to the river from the salt water along the coast.
Awesome! going to have to get the kayak back up there!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Water temps on the Northwest Miramichi in the Red Bank area are dropping pretty quickly. A little over a week ago when I first tried bass fishing here in Red Bank the water temp was 25C/77F which is really warm so I wasn’t really expecting to catch any stripers but I did and caught some the following evening as well . When I fished last Tuesday water temps had dropped down to 20C/68F and fishing was better, and I landed about a dozen Yesterday eve was the fourth time I have been striper fishing in the past week and a half and water temps have dropped down to 16C/61F and fishing was even better I only landed 5 fish but I only fished for 30 to 40mins before having to leave to pick up my son in town. As soon as I cast my bait out and it hit the bottom there would be a bass after my bait almost immediately. The first three times I fished this fall so far I would sometimes wait10- 20 mins before getting a bite but Sunday eve I would cast my bait out and let it sink to the bottom and within a minute or so a bass would grab my bait. All five bass were very healthy looking with deep bellies and all put up a good fight. Three of the five I landed were prob close to 24 or 25 inches long, one was a little larger around 27 or 28 inches long with the last fish I landed being the best one. I didn’t have a measuring tape with me so that’s why I was guessing the length of the first four but the last one I took a measurement wirh my fishing rod and measured the mark on my rod when I got home. The last fish was a little over 31 1/2 inches long so almost 32 inches and prob weighed 13 or 14 pounds so was a really nice bass.
With water temps droppimg prettty quickly, 9C/16F in a little over a week here on the Northwest water temps along the coast will be dropping as well. Dropping water temps along the coast mean more and more bass leaving the coast each day and migrating back upriver to the fresh water of the Northwest and Main Southwest Miramichi rivers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts