New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SJ here has anyone had experience fishing for Striped Bass around Cape Enrage, also is there any experince with surf fishing in our area, I see it seems to be big down the US coast. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
last year they were doing okay there using clams, mussels, even crabs for bait. it's on-off like most striper fishing. thats just what i remember from the reports, i haven't fished it myself.

surf fishing for stripers happens here, they just don't talk about it much. same sort of baits i mentioned above, plus mackeral (whole, slices or chunked) and squid. the lepreaux area near mink brook would be an idea, down by the point off blacks beach might work too. they describe the best striper beachs to surf fish as stepped or waved beaches, so the stripers can run in the gaps and just beside the steps. being connected to a point of rocks is always a help. so is just fishing from a rock pt with lots of rip/current.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have not tried Cape Enrage area yet this year. Will be trying it in the near future
and will post the results. Caught a few in the 24 to 26 inch range last year but lost
a couple that felt bigger. People fish at the bridge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Last year I caught a 32" and a 26" in that area. I was already down just before earl with no luck but, I'm heading down today at high tide. I'll let you know how things go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No luck last night. But people in the area said they have arrived. I did see some seaguls hovering around out farther than were I was but, I couldn't get out to where they were.
One guy said he is not having as much luck this year as he has in the past. There must be some truth to it, because no one likes to brag about how few fish they have caught. haha

·
Registered
107 Posts
Caught a 27 inch striper yesterday in the Cape Enrage area. Only one that bit.
Fish was caught on jointed rapala black and silver during low tide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, I was at Dennis beach on September 23 and tried the fishing at high tide did not see or feel a thing. I am not that aware of how to fish for striped bass could someone help?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sjstultz, how you fish for stripers depends on what you are using.

for bait, mostly think bottom fishing, and mostly using a 3 way rig/swivel with a weight on one end and a fair to big hook on the other, with 18-48" of line between each - the nastier the bottom, the shorter the spread. assume you will lose some of these rigs to the bottom. you can also switch the weight for a ballon to keep it up off the bottom.

if you are chucking lures, think either top water/surface or go deep, way deep and play off or just tapping off the bottom. floating and suspending cranks like the jointed rapala Reg mentioned he caught his on have been good producers for the last couple years - think 4.5" minimum in most cases, i run from that right up to 7" all the time, 11" depending on tide and area. twitch them, jerk them, run them reallllllllly slow, go fast-pause-fast-pause, etc. think like you are teasing a cat into smacking a toy.
for down deep/deeper swimbaits and jigs are the way to go. a swimbait is realy just a prerigged jig, most have paddle tails to realy stir things up. you can also use heavy spinnerbaits. let it drop, bounce it, lift it slowly, work it back on a bounce or just tapping bottom or a few feet up in the water column. on the jigs and spinnerbaits, like a buck tail jig, often adding a trailer like a senko or fluke, cut bait or whole bait, all can be the ticket to get them to say "ahhhhh gulp!".

it can take a while to get stripers sometimes, other times they will hit anything and just will not stop feeding. they like current and turbulance, and when one starts feeding, a whole school may turn on. i have left out a ton of course, but this should get you started. keep in mind, you can catch stripers in daylight, especialy at dawn, but most feed at night.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Caught a 24 inch striper yesterday in long marsh creek trolling a jointed rapala silver and black.
Used to catch a lot of small ones there but this year have only caught one small one. Does not
look good for the future.
The water was very high yesterday at high tide.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the striper numbers seem to be down for sept., although it is tough to compare, i always miss part of sept. for stripers. up untill then the numbers have been exactly the same this year as last year by me, so i think it's where the fish are hiding as opposed to them going not being out there at all. october is more about the monster stripers, and they mostly do not school, so can turn up anywhere, any time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts