New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

striper reels

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ipop 
#1 ·
i just rebuilt one of my abu garcia bruiser reels, this one for the second time. salt is hard on reels and in have a number but this is the highest capacity reel i have that fits a 7` ugly stick. it`s also the reel my nephews son caught his first striper all by himself on, so i would like to keep using it. lots of line helps fight them in the kayak.

anyway, this time some of the parts were completely eaten away. so after cleaning it up, regreasing etc., i checked my reel parts bin - nothing really fit - i noticed a pen that look just like what the doctor ordered! lol! i used a stepped metal ring (i`m sure will not last long but it is chromed) and a plastic collar i cut to lenght...and it`s working fine

so what reels do you use for stripers, and do you rebuild them?

ps: we are actually supposed to rinse/soak them after each use and the end of the season in fresh water - like in a 5 gallon bucket.

See less See more
#3 ·
yup, rain counts. i don`t have a place i can do that..and expect my gear to be there the next day. i broke an alpha reel the other day to, but it was just the casting bar/trigger and it`s no big deal to fish without it.
what make of reel do you use utopia fisher?

#5 ·
i`ve had the same problem with those reels and a few others. we have taken up to 3 people acting as spool, drag and the last working the rod (me). we were practised at it after a while. still, as you did too, we landed a lot of keepers and schoolies on them, and the price is right. with the gold wally reel, i found taping the selector switch into the "no back reel" position makes a big difference, getting another couple years out of it. i once caught a stripeer from the shuttle dock, fishing with my back up ugly stick while i rebuilt a surf rods reel from parts of other reels i knew were around the dock from the night before. one of the few i have caught using a plastic eel there (funny since striper worms work very well there including 18 in 18 casts there once).

when you first take out a surf combo or i guess any knew reel, check the bolts and screws to make sure they are tight, including the spindle nut beneath the bell. we had some that were not tightened and as a result had parts falling off at the worst times - lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.