New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for female stipers to have eggs in them as late or early as the beginning of November ? I caught a monster early November in the Saint-John river in Oromocto and the belly of the fish was huge. I tried to find some info( and pics) on this, but i figured i,d ask the forum for answers. Any and all insights would be appreciated. Also is it true that there is not supposed to be any spawning of stipers in this river.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, it is normal for these fish to have eggs at this time of year.

The DFO will say that there is not a spawning population of striped bass in any NB river that flows into the Bay of Fundy..... which is completely incorrect in my opinion as I have seen spawning striped bass in a local river( I used to be on the river 5-6 days a week, all times of the day for a few years ) and have heard accounts and seen pictures from commercial fishermen who also have seen spawning stripers. A resident who lives on the river has also seen schools of striped bass in early April. Incomplete studies by the DFO and their scientists have given them their conclusion of extripated striped bass populations. They sampled the rivers during the influx of late summer early fall run of american and shubie' stripers and said none of our fish are native. They did not sample the river for eggs and YOY at the correct time of year according to what I have witnessed on the water... (some years I have noticed no spawning during the typical periods due to higher water levels and cooler water because of the Mactaquac Dam holding back water and letting it all go in mid May disrupting spawning of stripers, smallies, gaspereau and shad.) If someone can prove that the big stripers I catch starting in April full of eggs aren't native, I'll believe them, but I bet they can't. This is a subject that the DFO wants to avoid because it will end up in SARA endangered designation for stripers, more research and conservations dollars towards them and shutting down the recreational fishery.

Striped bass over winter in the Kennebecasis river and many years ago they would net the stripers through the ice in Belleisle Bay. That proved to be highly detrimental to the population and it was halted. The Mactaquac dam ruined the river and with it the striped bass population as the SJ river probably had the highest spawning population in Canada up until the dam was built. There are most likely still small spawning populations in the Kennebecasis, Hammond, Nashwaak, Canaan and other tributary rivers to the SJ river system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts