New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try fly fishing for stripers with Dad tonight and was wondering what we should be using for flies. Some pictures of what people are using would be nice or some descriptions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`m sorry i missed your post yesterday ritzy - how did it go? land any stripers on the fly?

most striper flies start at a big salmon fly and go bigger from there. lots of decievers and clousers, big deer hair poppers and flash/tinsel streamers. big muskie and pike flies work too. you could do worse than fishing a flashy blue and black or red head fly for stripers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going to try fly fishing for stripers with Dad tonight and was wondering what we should be using for flies. Some pictures of what people are using would be nice or some descriptions.

Thanks
Finally have a week at the cottage and have tied up a box of deceivers to try out with some eel type flies and clousers. If I get lucky I will post a pic of the winning fly! Any one else having luck on the fly rod with stripers?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No luck yet, but hoping these new ties will be the game changer!! Anyone ever had any luck with the crease fly? I've had stripers on top water gear, but not the fly yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks WW,

Haven't hooked into a striper with them yet, its only a mater of time. They have to be the most non aerodynamic thing I've tried to through with a fly rod, talk about double hauling! I imagine a serious weight forward heavy belly line would make it better. Anyone ever try those big bug lines?

I did have some nice pickrel charges from the weeds which made double hauling all day worth while. I can't wait to feel the weight of a striper hit it though...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought a Rio coldwater clouser line this year. Seems to help with bulky or weighted flies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts