New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any easy to get to spots to go toss a line for trout and possibly get a few stripers while killing some time around miramichi? I heard the Bartibog bridge is a good spot but don't know if its the bridge on the number 11 or the 2 on the number 8 highway?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure if the trout fisherman have encountered their pesky striped nemesis yet. If the salmon are heading up the bass may be heading out. No retention of bass allowed, but if you wet your line for any other species you're probably going to see a striper.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Trout fisherman are by-catching stripped bass from Newcastle all the way up to Red Bank. I expect the by-catch action will be stopping soon, when the spawning starts. Please remember it is barbless hook fishing only. If you do happen to hook a bass as a by-catch, play them hard so they can be quickly release, there are so few of them in the river.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was on the Miramichi last Sunday May 12(didn't catch anything along with 20 other boats), but they caught a lot of trouts, black salmon, and stripe bass the whole week before up to Friday, May 10. One older (fishing for 45 yrs) said he never seen so many fish on the river. Another fisherman claims that they caught bass by the hundreds on the East side of the main Miramichi bridge by some fish (market or plant) with at least one over 25LBS. Apparently a lot of broken fishing rods as most of them did not have the proper gear. Of course, no one is allowed to keep any, catch and release only. I caught 9 last year, approx 13/16" all released to be caught another day(maybe next year)when they are bigger and maybe will be able to keep a few.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow that many reports. Spawning will likely be early this year, and the non-spawners will be heading out of the river system soon as well, I would guess.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i know there is no season however a few incidental catches would be interesting for sure. ya the reports i'm getting, the guys are hooking into a lot of stripers right now around miramichi city... i heard one guy said they hooked into 40 stripers in 40 casts.. anyhow might have to take a drive up and check it out.. i've been up to wayerton twice in the last week and saw people fishing the main river when you cross the 117 bridge over the main miramichi, might have to stop in and check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts