New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone found is the best fresh bait to use? Ive had the most luck with smelt, the whole fish if they are small, run the line through there mouth and out through their ass and tie a hook on, ive found I have to sew the mouth shut or the current just seemes to rip the fish apart. But when it said and done it works great, landed 3 stripers on one smelt when I rigged it up right.

Ive had luck with Pork rhind on the end of the white banana head jigs with the buck tail, sometimes it works sometimes seems like poisen to them. Any ideas where to buy some eels? Heard they are good.
Anybody else have any indeas for fresh bait?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have no clue but why not try some small perch, regular bass eat them up Id say they work and they geat sized to outta lily lake small suckers perfect size and weight for casting ? Worth a try right

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well perch wouldnt be a natural feed for Stripers I wouldnt think, Its best to stick with what the fish recognize as bait, although Im sure they would grab the odd perch while heading up river. Worth a try, they are easy to catch, I tried Chub a couple times and never caught a thing while the other guys in the boat were using just Buck Tail Jigs and landing one every few casts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Herring, mackerel are money too. Even Tommy cod in the fall.
I've heard clams but never tried it.
But eels are the best.(kv river) Big circle hook through the lips and troll. Or even let em swim a bit.
There is one guy named Elmer who lives out norton way, maybe? And he sells eels. If I can get his contact info I'll pm it to ya.
But I did email DNR and eel traps are 100% allowed as long as you don't commercially sell eel and you have to use them in the same body of water you catch them in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, ya let me know about the guy who sells them, but there are all inds of eels down off the north end.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you can`t use perch for bait - illegal. basicly no sport fish or any fish with spikes in the fins, and no pickerel.

eel works well for stripers, but not very well in the Saint John area, they work best much further up river.

mackerel, herring, gaspereaux, chub, smelts all work at times but the best bait i have seen for striper bait is squid, either whole or chunked.

·
Registered
227 Posts
AHH **** thats right you cant I forgot the little bugger are sprots fish hard to believe to me i guess but you can always get perch Rapala s:) haha

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
perch and bluegill storm swim baits work great for stripers. i have actualyy seen them jump in the air for them , which is pretty rare for a striper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fresh bait is the way to go, you will produce 3 times the ammount of stripers on bait then you will lures. IpOP- Your right on the squid, i treid it before but we only had one, and we did do well, landed 15 that day, did just as well on smelt another day though, but now that im thinking about it the day we used squid no one else out there was getting much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering i have seen smallies on occasion and large mouth go for frog lures, wondering if i striper would go for one? anyoneever try or seen this?

-Jordan

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i have had a striper hit a soft frog once. i also tried some over size wake baits that were frog like but had no luck at all on those.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
no stripers caught at the falls yet that i know of, but right now we are all to busy chasing other fish! lol, it happens like this every year it seems - so many fish, so little time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I HAD ONE AND LSOT I T!
SO SAD was my first stripers of my life felt liek i was lifting a bolder of the bottom i gain on it right up to the cove area and it jerked so hard and the bugger was so heavy my knot came undone! :'( I was so upset I ahd afew people watch and hope I got it in again but I ran out of bucktails lol lost afew then that one
I have a few home made ones on sum jig heads that im going out with tomorrow I think and I am Landing one of these buggers! And when I hooke dit it was when the tides was goign out about 20 30 mins before it started going out was pretty calm, But god dam I swear Illl get one hahaha Most greatest feeling Ive had considering it's largest thing ive ever landed! lol what a feeling !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can't seem to get my hands on any squid right now but was talking to some guys on the river and they tell me they have had success with crawlers so Im gonna give that a whirl. Also got my hands on couple of gaspereau so think I'll cut them up and try them out.
Eels sound like the way to go this time of year but you wont find me grabbing hold of one o them any time soon
sooner grab hold of a grizzly bear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts