New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
i heard of some striped bass caught in the salisbury nets this past year, i guess they weren't that big, but just wondering when do you think the big stripers will be in the petitcodiac river, and where to fish them, i'm guessing a good spot would be near the petitcodiac causeway any info would be helpful...

thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
with the petitcodiac just opened, the big ones will be there basicly in the next 3-4 weeks...or not this year. the reason for this is no local stripers yet from it, so all the big ones are either locals checking out nearby rivers (like from ns) or from tourist fish like the st. john river gets that have been coming to it for a hundred years. stripers seem to like to explore new areas and flooded waters, so the numbers of stripers there should grow quickly in the next years. of course if they stocked them you would have good numbers in just a few years for sure...

as you said, try the causeway, and any point with lots of rip. fish outgoing and incoming tides until you pattern them ( a couple hundred yards can make a real difference in when they feed).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with the petitcodiac just opened, the big ones will be there basicly in the next 3-4 weeks...or not this year. the reason for this is no local stripers yet from it, so all the big ones are either locals checking out nearby rivers (like from ns) or from tourist fish like the st. john river gets that have been coming to it for a hundred years. stripers seem to like to explore new areas and flooded waters, so the numbers of stripers there should grow quickly in the next years. of course if they stocked them you would have good numbers in just a few years for sure...

as you said, try the causeway, and any point with lots of rip. fish outgoing and incoming tides until you pattern them ( a couple hundred yards can make a real difference in when they feed).
alright, cool thanks alot Ipop, ummm when is the best time of year to first for them, i heard spring is good, but is their a certain time, and what tide it the best? incoming tide? and what about the tidal bore that comes in the petitcodiac will that effect them at all, thanks..

C&R

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they should be smashing just after the tidal bore and at the beginning of the outward run after that...mostly!lol stripers can change feeding habits in just a few hundred meters. they hit agresively in rips and hard running current, are shy and want a finnesse approach in the flats and some times in the shallows. a good search method for them is to check a map for the obvious spots, like points, wharfs(prefeably just the remains), sand bars etc. then walk the shore from one spot to the other, throwing top water lures looking for active fish with the lure and looking and listening for stripers feeding on the surface, by doing this you can find some hot spots and holes where there is almost always a striper holding. right at the causeway should be a prime spot, like the maces bay/lepreaux causeway.

for time of year....spring (just when you are to busy with trout...lol!), mid summer to late fall, with odd runs in between (like the odd june run we had this year on the st. john). stripers and salmon seem to be expanding and exploring everywhere now, so they could really show up almost any time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they should be smashing just after the tidal bore and at the beginning of the outward run after that...mostly!lol stripers can change feeding habits in just a few hundred meters. they hit agresively in rips and hard running current, are shy and want a finnesse approach in the flats and some times in the shallows. a good search method for them is to check a map for the obvious spots, like points, wharfs(prefeably just the remains), sand bars etc. then walk the shore from one spot to the other, throwing top water lures looking for active fish with the lure and looking and listening for stripers feeding on the surface, by doing this you can find some hot spots and holes where there is almost always a striper holding. right at the causeway should be a prime spot, like the maces bay/lepreaux causeway.

for time of year....spring (just when you are to busy with trout...lol!), mid summer to late fall, with odd runs in between (like the odd june run we had this year on the st. john). stripers and salmon seem to be expanding and exploring everywhere now, so they could really show up almost any time.
thanks for all the info, i plan on fly fishing for them so any suggestions on what flies to use?? like eel patterns, clousers, lefty's, etc? i got a 8-9 weight with striper fly line and a 15 lbs leader is that good enough??

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i use a graduated leader for stripers , going from 30lb to 17 or 20lb, starting with heavy mono and using floro/copolamar for the tippet. 15lb would work but could lose you some bigger stripers. use a clear intermediate line - stripers are a bit line shy. lots of backing helps!
for flies, you have it right plus a few terrestrials like mice or `creatures`. besides the realistic flies, try some with a metalic look in gold or silver, and also try red heads (a standard striper pattern). a selection of big poppers is a good idea too. they have a habit of attacking the head, so short shanked flies can be a sneaky bonus (at times you will need the long shank to get it down to them, or even to just cast the bigger flies).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
blue disappears first in water although in shallows and working top water they could still see it. i would try it, it`s way better than a weedy looking green line, hi vis yellow or red which looks black at night. you could add more leader or 30 feet of clear intermediate line, like a heavy mono. i find i don`t cast much past my leader for stripers now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys. I have been fishing the petti river system for as long as i could fish. And now having the river being restored and the native species returning is like a dream to me. Until it opened it was nothing more then Smallmouth and perch with the odd spec trout and even a brownie. The two invasive species were introduced by a Salisbury local(Shame on you). Any ways Now that they are open catching of Smallmouth bass is almost extinct. So as for striped bass last year I caught one while fishing for trout. 4lb test line ok lol it was only 5" long. That same day seen one swim but that was very large and soon after caught an eel. This all took place not far down stream from the old salmon pool. Between the south bridge leaving Salisbury down river to the train bridge has produced a lot of fish for me. The water is fast moving with lots of rapids. There is also a large sandbar just north on Moncton that has produced but not sure sense causeway opened. I am going out tomorrow evening to fish the rising tide at some pretty secluded spots, but may end up down south of the train bridge narrow and fast with off lying pools. Last week I fished the rising tide there and no luck using mackerel. Left overs from last year. Tomorrow night taking Shad coloured bomber and a black popper. Hope im posting pics !!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I live in Moncton but originally come from NS and we have a great run of Stripers in the Gaspereaus river... I have fished them on the fly and using spinning gear.. get in touch and we can share information... you show me where to go, I show you what I have that has worked for me in NS. I have only been here for 2 years so my knowledge of the area is still limited. I know where Salisbury is so that's a start... looking forward to your pics and feed back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds good tomorrow me and machinist from the forms here will be fishing from 7 until 12 midnight. You are more then welcome to join us. We will be starting at the train bridge and working our way down river. The whole topography of the river is changing and so are all the hot spots. So if you want to message me and i will give you directions to the train bridge.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Good luck Underground, can't wait to hear how you make out. The scientists got a lot of stripers in their traps last yaer.
Just a word of caution. That is not tidal waters despite what others will tell you. You can legally fish only until two hours after sunset.
I wish you great success!

·
Registered
64 Posts

sorry IPOP gotta disagree with ya.have u ever fished in muddy water with crazy tides like the Peti or Shubie in NS?.Fish the Peti like to pros in NS do on their rivers,On the slack tides the water will actually start to clear up, and the fishing is way better dependin on tide height, there can be good fishin on the out goin and you can fish for awhile.Id be very surprised if you catch bass in the Peti while the tide is zoomin in.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i have actually fished the Shubie and i live on the sj and bay of fundy - lots of tides. i`m not sure where you disagree with me other than you don`t think you can catch them when the current is running in hard - the guys that fish the falls would be very surprised to hear that, same with maces bay, etc. different spots do fish very differently, and as i mentioned, this can be as little as a hundred yards apart. fishing the bridge pilings and abutments, the curls and current breaks they set up during strong in flow and out flow is classic striper fishing. rock points and big structure can form the same thing. these are not going to be all up and down a mud bank river, and on the shubie it`s hard to get a spot to fish near a bridge if you come late. are you fishing the causeway?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Muddy water fishin is a whole different ball game.I have the utmost respect for u as a striperman, but the Peti and the Shubie are nithin like fishin the SJ, or the Bay.Its not current runnin hard its a crazy tide that would make the SJ look like a stream of dog piss!Like stated above I know your one of the top Bass men in the Maritimes, but you aint gonna get no Bass in the Peti with topwater baits on an incomin tide.How often do you fish the Shubie?I fish the Bay hardcore in NB and NS, Its just apples and oranges compared to the Falls, or SJ.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
for search baits, top water and other speed baits are good but i wasn`t saying that is the only option. i`m just saying if you look for the right spot you could find a place to fish on the incoming tide, not that the whole river would fish best that way or that tide.
the stripers have to find your bait/lure, and in muddy water that means dead drifting a stick bait won`t be very productive. once you find them, fresh cut bait or something with a scent like maga strike are standard, along with big thumping baits if it`s also noisy water. i have a new secret weapon for muddy striper fishing i want to try out which sort of combines the two.
so where do you generaly suggest fishing stripers on the petti? the causway, above or below it, or at the mouth? how is the debris there? there was so much grass, reeds and even trees coming down river here last week we had to clear the junk off the line and gear every few minutes at best.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
acac I just deleted your post as it was trolling and showed disrespect to members who offer great advice when asked for. You will be disabled if you continue this activity.

·
Registered
129 Posts
nbmudman in shubenacadie river where its muddy and low current they fish with lure that sinks and top water lure....they still catch some and big ones too.....but bait is often better when it comes to muddy waters

1 - 20 of 38 Posts