New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Storm Swimmin eels. What colour is best?

• Green&White

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Black & Red

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Black

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I want too post a question to all you Striper fisherman.
Are the Storm Swimmin eels a good bait?
And what colour would you recommend? Green&White or Black&Red.

Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Rob, does a Striper fisherman have to be successful in actually catching them?
If so that's not me. I'm the Striper fisherman that fishes Stripers lots, but have NEVER actually landed one.
To your question, I've heard of people getting big fish with the black and red one's in the Freddy area. They're rigged to have real good side to side action, but personally I much prefer the look and action on the felmlee eel rigs. They really do look like a real eel. They come in 8, 11 and 16" at Doirons. If you ever go to Bangor, hit up D i c k's Sporting goods. Real cheap there. If you're casting them, I'm told you should retrieve very very very slowly across or just off bottom. My buddy had a real nice fish on a couple weeks ago using this method using one of the 16" felmlee eels.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hey Rob, does a Striper fisherman have to be successful in actually catching them?
If so that's not me. I'm the Striper fisherman that fishes Stripers lots, but have NEVER actually landed one.
To your question, I've heard of people getting big fish with the black and red one's in the Freddy area. They're rigged to have real good side to side action, but personally I much prefer the look and action on the felmlee eel rigs. They really do look like a real eel. They come in 8, 11 and 16" at Doirons. If you ever go to Bangor, hit up D i c k's Sporting goods. Real cheap there. If you're casting them, I'm told you should retrieve very very very slowly across or just off bottom. My buddy had a real nice fish on a couple weeks ago using this method using one of the 16" felmlee eels.
I use the more natural colours from Don at Bass Tackle Plus, they are dark green on the back and lighter on the belly

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the storm eels are pitching/trolling eels...but mostly pitching. the other types mentioned above work better trolled and even "killed" on the bottom, mostly because of the weight posistion and the 2 hooks.
as for color, green and white/cream is the natural color, but eels turn white/light grey when they are scared, so these do double duty.
red and black is a little easier for them to find at night and ia a comprimize between the other two.
black stands out way better at night and are know to unbutton tight lipped fish but not numbers of stripers.

a big bass worm on a good jighead & stinger hook in red and black works too, looking like either an eel or a surge/blood worm...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ipop.
So Black at night, and Green and White during day.
This year is my first year fishing Stripers.
What else is good for trolling for Stripers?

Rob.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
rob, try slow trolling a big floating crank, like a magnum bomber. you have to check it a lot, they will weed up, but the crank bite has been the best so far this year. no luck on big? try small! 4-5" instead.
another trick to try is adding a sinko or big bass worm to a spinner bait. the blades of the spinner bait cause a big ruckass in the water and the sinko or worm gives them a juicy target. be carefull, they like to follow in swim baits and attack just as they are about to "get away", so think like you are muskie fishing. add a stringer hook!
another idea ia a sammy, or it's new competition, the little badonk a donk. these are top water lures designed to easily walk the dog. hard to find in any monsterous size, but do work for stripers in the smaller sizes and although they do weed up like other gear since they are pure top water, you shouldn't lose any to structure.

a way to reduce the weed buildup is to place a swivel 3-4' ahead of the lure, to catch the nasty stuff for you, a tip i picked up on this site!

·
Registered
186 Posts
a way to reduce the weed buildup is to place a swivel 3-4' ahead of the lure, to catch the nasty stuff for you, a tip i picked up on this site!
Great tip!... and I totally agree. I've started doing this with big black swivels and find 95% of the weeds hang up on the swivel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts