Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, we got picked for Squirrel Falls in August. Just looking for info:

1)how to access the pools?
2)favorite pools?
3)are pools deep or shallow?
4)use floating line or sink tip?
5)how the road is into the camp from the main dirt road? would it be ok to take a newer 4x4 down without worrying about scratching the paint up?
6)what flies generate some success there?
7)newer camp or older one?

any pics of the camp area would be nice or any other details you think we should be aware of or would like to suggest would be appreciated! Thanks

ps: yes we will be bringing garbage bags and help clean up the pile if anything there, please don't post anything about that here, just looking for info above or anything else other than garbage. : )

let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Camp isn't on the river.. okay road in... to the top of the stairs is maybe 10 minute walk going.... near 2 hours coming back.I suggest you drive down... don't leave truck windows down or you may have a bear adventure. Long Falls pool at the bottom of the stairs looks nice... no fish when I was there... bridge pool is absolutely beautiful... kodak moments.. no fish when I was there... Squirrelly Falls pool itself was good for many pics... no fish when I was there... it's a long frikkin hike... go in the morning if you're going. Lock your food cooler in your truck at all times though august isn't so bad for bears. Can't give you a list of flies to use but now have a fair idea of what flies NOT to use.. lol... only camp I've been to with rebar over the windows to keep the bears out... mice were noisy and active so go to bed well sedated... OH.. very important... carrying a cooler down those stairs really sucks.. I'd suggest pints of rum over beer

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bill G's Squirrel Falls Tips

Tip #1 Don't leave a soup can full of bacon grease on the front porch of the cabin
Tip #2 Lock the door when you go to bed
Tip #3 Wake up your buddy and get him to go outside with you for the middle of the night Pi$$, as we had one guy who braved it himself and had to make a hasty retreat back inside as he said that something in the woods was growling at him. Personnaly I think that he was just liquored.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Long Falls, bridge pool and squirrel falls pool are all very nice and usually produce every trip...Its well worth doing some exploring though, there are a few nice smaller pools that always hold a couple fish that haven't seen a million and one flies come august ...Mactavish run, upstream from the stairs, is one hell of a walk but usually worth checking out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Long Falls, bridge pool and squirrel falls pool are all very nice and usually produce every trip...Its well worth doing some exploring though, there are a few nice smaller pools that always hold a couple fish that haven't seen a million and one flies come august ...Mactavish run, upstream from the stairs, is one hell of a walk but usually worth checking out.
any fish there around june 24 i shure hope so

·
Registered
26 Posts
just got back. went up friday, my party landed 2 grilse, 1 salmon, and hooked 5 other fish. Beautiful spot with over 30 fish seen jumping. Including them jumping up over the squirrel falls waterfalls. Truly unremarkable and makes you respect the Atlantic Salmon so much more after witnessing that. Bring your billy goat boots as it requires alot of walking. We only fished the down river pools from camp as they were just booming in action. Camp was in great shape and drove down to about 200 yrds of the stairs for access to camp pool and down. We never checked out upstream so cannot comment. No bears and no trash. and a unreal weekend. For flies, water was a little high so we stuck to bugs and wet flies. 1 grilse landed on green machine with white tail, 1 grilse landed on a butterfly undertaker, and salmon landed on blue charm. Many strikes and hooks with green machines, brown bugs, and really anything you throw. Hooked a nice grilse at squirrel falls pool on a brown bomber and faught him for 15 minutes but because of the pool location makes it tough for a landing, handed the rod over to buddy as i climbed down the enbankment and out on the log, grilse five feet away made a jump and got off... which saddens me more is after that long fight and getting off his chance of surviving is tough. One grilse on, we had a salmon clear the water about ten feet away from the grilse going on a run. If you wanna take pictures and absorbed mother nature this is the place for you. one note to bring water into camp for general use either bring jugs and take them to the pools to fill or bring lots from home. no running water close to camp

·
Registered
26 Posts
make sure your party sticks in groups of at 2. Pools arent large enough for 4 people to fish, but very good for leftys and rightys. Landing location are tough so make sure you have a net and a second person ready. Also pools are extremely deep but none of us used sink tip line, we all had wf-9 on an seen plenty of action. New 4 wheel drive if its wide might get scratched up from the brush going down the trail from the camp to the pools. But believe me a detailing job of your suv is way easier then the hike back up to camp. Camp is older but a beauty. All the basics youd find at any crown reserve pool.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THanks for the update Bushslayer, nice that you had a pretty good trip up there! with this update, I can't wait to get up there! we generally always bring water for washing and cooking and always fish in parties of 2, that way we get to explore the majority of the pools... and we will be bringing a few bikes to assist with the walkin or lack thereof! lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
well if you got bikes chadman thats great to get to the pools... unfortunately they will get you to the top of the stairs for pools below mactavish run pool your gonna have to hike er. I would recommend getting bags for your waders or like i did and purchased a nice set of wading boots from orvis. They provided me the ankle support to hike the trails and water is low enough and perfect to fish in shorts. Now the bikes might be able to get you to the top pools but since i didnt fish them i couldnt tell you. One other recommendation is try and get an update right before you go. I can tell you in august with low water the long falls pool bridge pool squirrel falls pool and ledge pool with be holding plenty of fish, since the long walk between pools you spend alot of time walking instead of fishing. I know we already planning on putting into squirrel falls again next year cause we fell in love with the scenery and the fishing! Wish you tight lines and one heck of a trip chadman!!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyone else been up to squirrel falls lately? any updates? the last update from bushslayer was great news, looking to see if all is still going well up there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well... we're heading up to Squirrel Falls on thursday til saturday... calling for rain all week... should still be a good trip, don't mind fishing in the rain

anyone else been up to Squirrel Falls recently?

·
Registered
298 Posts
well... we're heading up to Squirrel Falls on thursday til saturday... calling for rain all week... should still be a good trip, don't mind fishing in the rain

anyone else been up to Squirrel Falls recently?
Hey Chad hope you have a great trip I don't think the rain is gonna affect the fishing let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Chad hope you have a great trip I don't think the rain is gonna affect the fishing let us know how you made out.
Thanks Jamie! I'll be sure to post pics and recount the whole story! lol... I always take a pic of the log we leave in the books at the camps.. always great to re-read them years later..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts