New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought 50LB SpiderWire, Camo Braid fishing line - With tele...something for smoothing casting etc etc..., Wonder if this will Hold up on stripers in Reversing falls? and or what else would it hold up to ? Is this a good grade of fishing line, ? etc etc ? Thanks for reading and to whom ever reply's

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use TuffLine XP braid, very soft and casts for miles and is smaller diameter than a lot of other lines.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
that will work for stripers and other fish like flounder and even sturgeon. it is a bit light for some of the monster stripers that are out there, so don`t horse one in just because it`s heavy braid. for stripers i suggest using a leader or hot shot/top shot. braid lets you reach out a few more yards from shore, which can be a big help some times.

3-4` of mono or floro in the 40lb range is commonly used for striper leader when using braid main line, to help with gill shearing and abrasion from rocks, along with adding some stretch for the hard hits.

a hot shot or as they are getting known now, top shots are main braid lines with anything from 10 to 150 yrds of mono or copalamar (mono and floro combined) on top of the braid - this can give you the best of both worlds, the line capacity of braid with the strech of mono for the hit and fighting, and a clear line to help hook up with line shy fish. i have a friend that uses it for brook trout (she hates breaking lines) but it would not be my first choice for them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info ipop , And how large do you personally think it would hold up in striper weight or length stripers.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it will depend on how smouth the drag is on your reel and how flexable your rod is. and of course, how you use them. from a boat, there would be no problem. from shore, have the drag set so you can pull line out but it should take some effort. always check your drag a few times during fishing and a few times right when you start - it is very common to find your drag has froozen, just hand twist it back a few turns and try it again, it should be free. when fishing stripers from shore, i move around a lot. walking back from shore and walking towards it (even into the water) can increase and reduce the preseaure on the line, rod and fish. be sure not to grab the line with braid, either landing fish or to add drag. if you need to add drag just palm the outside of the reel - it doesn`t take much to make a big difference, so don`t over do it.
check to make sure that at least your tip eye has a cermaic insert and is not just a stainless steel loop. the braid will cut into the steel and it will shred the braid too. most rods have the ceramic inserts now but they can get broken or just not there in older rods.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i have an ugly stik that and a tuff ass puppy bend in in a complete circle and more without a worry and the pressure on the base of the rod can withstand my little cousin hanging off it (he's 2) and the steel loops do have ceramic also ! and my drag is in perfect working condition !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you once again ipop always exactlly what im looking for !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow!!! 50 lb ??? And here I thought I was over doing it with 25 lb. I figured if anything big enough to break 25lb would likely bust my ugly stick anyway.
Do I need bigger gear or do you guys just grow em bigger up your way?
Maybe the current is the reason for it?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it`s sort of a combination grizzman. we have a high percentage of "keeper" size stripers - over 26.75", and you would be surprised by the force a 12lb striper can bring to bear, let alone anything bigger. there is also current and tons of nasty structure. the guy with the inland record for stripers uses 130lb braid, and he has had stripers break that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
ipop you must have a pile of structure in the water up there in SJ... I know back home on the Gaspereau River I have hooked and landed fish handy to 20lbs in the river but there is little to no structure other than some grass beds and the odd piling to foul on... I usually use somewhere in the range of 14lb-20lb test mono line as well and have never had issues... that being said there is no down side to going heavier on the line choice for safety reasons. You never know what that river is capable of releasing to you... you don't have a choice of what grabs your line..lol.. Obviously if I want to drive to SJ I can have all the direction I can handle from you ipop to put me over fish but does anyone know where to go on the Peti river in Moncton? I want to get out with the fly rod and hook into some stripers that I understand are now in the river... I just don't know where..

·
Registered
57 Posts
DAd reeled in a 20lb striper last year with an ugly stick with the same line, worked good, but we were in a boat. That fish pulled the boat all around the river but we landed and released it with no harm to the fish.

My only complaint is the spiderwire seems to fray after alot of casts. We were in quebec for 2 weeks, and fishing 10 hours a day at least and it seemed to fray up some, so maybe keep an eye on it. Don't wanna hook a monster with frayed line......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea its good had used it for about over a month now or so and its good but my rod has ceramic inlay in the hopps on the rod so nothign yet but im sure tell tail signs will appear soon lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
CountryMike, you most likely got frayed either by a steel front eye or the ceramic is cracked or broken. it happens fairly often. you can actualy spool off the line and respool it backwards to gett a lot more life out of it. check the eyelet and if needed replace the ceramic insert. if it`s steel and the braid cut into it, you will have to replace the eyelet with ceramic or add a ceramc eye to it. a good way to check the insert is to first just look and feel it, then if still not sure, work a piece of cotton batton or cotton balls through it. if there is a problem there will be cotton hung up in it. we bumped into this a lot when we first started fishing stripers with braid.

when fishing stripers from a boat away from shore & structure, you can get away with a lot less line strength. on the kayak i run from 17 to 25lb mono or copalomar. partly because if i get hung up on bottom, that is as strong as i can break by hand and the 25lb is really pushing it from that point of view. at the same time, as mentioned, the stripers can and will haul you around in a boat, and you can go chase them, so you end up putting a lot less preasure on them. there is still the problem of getting sheared off by the gill plates, so a heavy leader is still a good idea when running "light" line for stripers. in the falls itself, even on a boat i would run 20lb absolute minimum mono (with a quality reel&rod), but more often 30-40lb mono/copolamar and 50-100lb braid. i have had stripers break off with up to 30lb fishing there (and from shore) and have heard of 85lb braid snapping too - big striper & big current=big fun with line snapping, reel grinding, rod breaking action. i have rods set up with 50 and even 100lb mono line, for special purpose striper fishing.

the structure near and on shore in the Saint John area includes a variety of line cutting nasties. there are a lot of old docks, piers, sunken barges, cut up steel debris and even mill stones. the ice moves all this around, so you get to find it the hard way when fishing. each season i check out the area during an extra low tide to see where it`s all at.

exstreamfisherman, there is a lead here for striper fishing on the petti, but no one is telling yet where on the petti they are catching them. it`s a fair size chunk of water, so you may have some hunting to do to find the best striper spots.

·
Registered
19 Posts
all good advice guys. Think I"ll stick to the gear I have and see how she holds up. If things keep going the way they have it's gonna last a looonnng time

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did have stainless eyelets, but that problem is solved, I got a new rod for Christmas:)

Also, i never thought to spool it on backwards, that a good money saving tip.....thanks ipop

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
spool backwards? neve rheard of doign that lol im going to try it for sure

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't worry... I will find them.. It may take a while but I am okay with putting the time on the water... I know what kinds of water they should be in so that will eliminate a lot of water right there...
Go get em EF. There are some good spots down this way if you get bored. Bout 45 min drive tho.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts