New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I recently decided to pick up fly fishing bass. I have fly fished trout and other species before but never took up fly fishing bass. Im very knowledgeable when it comes to fishing bass and I know many techniques ETC but not when I flyfish them. My grandfather from BC recently sent me a large ammount of new bass flies and was just wondering what ones were your guys favourites and where was your favourite spot to fly fish bass!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey, I recently decided to pick up fly fishing bass. I have fly fished trout and other species before but never took up fly fishing bass. Im very knowledgeable when it comes to fishing bass and I know many techniques ETC but not when I flyfish them. My grandfather from BC recently sent me a large ammount of new bass flies and was just wondering what ones were your guys favourites and where was your favourite spot to fly fish bass!
I did that on Sunday had one of the best days ever.. Bad thing was the wife took the camera to the sand scupure contest at new river so no pics.. I fish the starting of the oromocto river that runs out of the basin on Big O.. There was fish busting bait fish everywhere on the lake.. On farther inspection they were baby gaspereux.. Caught soo many great fish only to have bigger ones always fallowing picking up the fish that was flying out fighting bass mouth with every head shake and jump. I lost about 2o monsters in the river under brush piles.. Very hard to horse 3.5 to 4's with a 3wt flyrod with 4 pound test tipet.. caught some of the biggest sunfish ever like 10 to 12 inch. and some kind of chub they fought just as hard as the bass jumping and smashing flies of the surface.. Some of them were over 20 inch.. I call the the poor mans salmon. one of the best ultra-lite days to date... big tip of the day gulp 1.5 minnows on fly and 2 and 3 inch gulp minnow on jigheads for spinning....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did that on Sunday had one of the best days ever.. Bad thing was the wife took the camera to the sand scupure contest at new river so no pics.. I fish the starting of the oromocto river that runs out of the basin on Big O.. There was fish busting bait fish everywhere on the lake.. On farther inspection they were baby gaspereux.. Caught soo many great fish only to have bigger ones always fallowing picking up the fish that was flying out fighting bass mouth with every head shake and jump. I lost about 2o monsters in the river under brush piles.. Very hard to horse 3.5 to 4's with a 3wt flyrod with 4 pound test tipet.. caught some of the biggest sunfish ever like 10 to 12 inch. and some kind of chub they fought just as hard as the bass jumping and smashing flies of the surface.. Some of them were over 20 inch.. I call the the poor mans salmon. one of the best ultra-lite days to date... big tip of the day gulp 1.5 minnows on fly and 2 and 3 inch gulp minnow on jigheads for spinning....
What i thought was chub was a cross between a fallfish and a creek chub i think. whatever they are very fun to catch. Wonder if the taste good???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What i thought was chub was a cross between a fallfish and a creek chub i think. whatever they are very fun to catch. Wonder if the taste good???
I would assume they taste bad, but you never know. I would not eat them personally, but if you wanna try them, it couldn't hurt ya. The berkley's you were using did you just put one of those little soft plastic ones on a hook and fly cast it out there? or is there actual berkley flies that im completely unaware of. By the way, best spin casting bait I have used this year has been a white YUM twister tail with a jig or else a glass ghost rapala slashbait. Ill have to give those minnoes a try, havent used minnows for a while since last year when I went back to my hometown, Thunder Bay Ontario.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would assume they taste bad, but you never know. I would not eat them personally, but if you wanna try them, it couldn't hurt ya. The berkley's you were using did you just put one of those little soft plastic ones on a hook and fly cast it out there? or is there actual berkley flies that im completely unaware of. By the way, best spin casting bait I have used this year has been a white YUM twister tail with a jig or else a glass ghost rapala slashbait. Ill have to give those minnoes a try, havent used minnows for a while since last year when I went back to my hometown, Thunder Bay Ontario.
Ya you get thema Crappy tire in a small jar. i put them on a #8 streamer hook, I think a bait holder would work better. I went threw alot of them they destroyed them..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya you get thema Crappy tire in a small jar. i put them on a #8 streamer hook, I think a bait holder would work better. I went threw alot of them they destroyed them..
Can you post a picture of how it looks when rigged? I've wanted to try bass on fly rod for a long time, but have no idea what to use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started just recently for smallies, too. I think it's great: lots of locations with lots of fish having lots of fight. I can walk 10 minutes from my place to catch them.

I've been throwing a few poppers & divers w/o much luck, but (as of 3 weeks ago) they were smashing (or sometimes subtly taking) Clouser minnows. I tied a few #4 & #8 black with a bit of chartreuse flash. Did a few with black bear hair, too; I find it has a little better action in the water.

I've been having so much fun with them that i just HAD to have a bass-dedicated rod & reel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thundercreek streamers do well for bass. I just caught a 2lbs bass on one of those while my mates were cooking hot dogs on a canoe trip. Some real good fight in those buggers.

ON the chub taste issue. I really find it amusing when I hear people talking about all the types of fish that apparently taste bad. Don't talk if you never tried it yourselve. In the 70s I came across the same attidue in Ireland. According to anyone I asked salmon was the ONLY edible fish. Pike...na can't eat that. Pollack....wuaeh tastes rotten...and so on. But everybody that said those things never actually tried to eat those fish.

Chub does not have a very intense taste (a bit like perch but less taste), so I make fishcakes out of mine. I only take the really big ones though (18inch+) due to all the little bones in the fish. A little bit of paprika and some parsley and some breadcrumbs around it makes a wonderful dish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts