New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question I've been wondering about for a while. Why is it in New Brunswick you are only allowed to keep two small mouth bass a day, but you can keep five trout a day. From my experience fishing, bass seem to be much more plentiful in NB than trout, and increasing in numbers every year. I know of lakes and rivers that have populations of bass now, that onetime only contained trout.

On the other side of the coin, trout populations seem to be decreasing in parts of the province,due to heavy fishing pressure. Mabey trout should be protected like the bass are, or mabey we should be allowed five bass a day like trout to keep them from over populating.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
It almost seems like a money issue: The gov't has to stock trout whereas they don't stock bass, and over time maybe they hope that the bass will be a self-sustaining fishery and they will be able to do away with the trout all together and save tons of money (?).

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think it is more about politics than anything else. Most people will scream if they were told they couldn't keep any trout. Very few people complain that they can't keep bass. In fact I bet they get a lot more pressure to keep it at a low daily limit. The bass groups are organized and have no opposition.

Yes the salmon and trout groups tend to support catch and release, and they are organized too. However, there is a large number of people not belonging to an organization that just want to go out and get some trout to eat. Their combined voices are far louder than the groups.

I've often wondered why the trout groups don't go on a campaign promoting how delicious bass are, how they fight hard on the line and how much more fun they are to fish. True or not, if you can convince the masses to fish for bass instead of trout you will be helping the trout population.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was talking to a DFO officer a couple of weeks ago about the same thing. He can't figure out why there's even a bag limit on smallmouth bass, although I agree with a reasonable limit. I mean, we can keep 100 yellow perch and 25 white perch a day?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here is a question I've been wondering about for a while. Why is it in New Brunswick you are only allowed to keep two small mouth bass a day, but you can keep five trout a day. From my experience fishing, bass seem to be much more plentiful in NB than trout, and increasing in numbers every year. I know of lakes and rivers that have populations of bass now, that onetime only contained trout.

On the other side of the coin, trout populations seem to be decreasing in parts of the province,due to heavy fishing pressure. Mabey trout should be protected like the bass are, or mabey we should be allowed five bass a day like trout to keep them from over populating.
I'm posting this to warn you of something that might get you in trouble. As far as trout it's not 5 a day it's 5 in you possesion at anytime ! eg. you go on a 3 day trout fish you can only have 5 trout in your possesion that includes your cooler and your creel, and for some that includes your freezer. Do I agree with the regs no .. but I do what the law says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A 2 fish limit on bass? How do they ever expect to run a bass tournament in NB if you can only hold 2 fish. Bass breed like crazy, they should up that limit.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The tournament directors get a permit from DNR that allows the tournament participants to hold 5 fish in their live well only during a tournament. The rest of the time it is 2 fish limit

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i agree. the limit for smallies is crazy low. the number of trout lakes now full of them shows this, however keep in mind, this should increase the size of the smallies (so the bass guys really shouldn`t mind). all smallie tourneys should be c&p&r now - catch & photo & release. there is no need for the live wells and any "accidental" releases. get with the times. as you know, i believe all live well use should be outlawed to stop that avenue of illegal stocking, and at this stage, if i was dnr, i wouild sit outside the bass tourneys and check their live wells AFTER the tourney as standard practice untill they change. the tourneys should have no complaints with this if, as they say, there is no problem...

i also agree that dnr is trying to get rid of trout as best they can without making it public, so they don`t have to pay for it any more. the feds should step in and take it away from them since the have no intention of running it properly - is this a breach of trust issue? if i sound feed up, i am! they brag about their stocking but even after a recent increase, it`s still less than a fifth of what was stocked before they took over - SHAME!!!!!

for trout, when i fish them i plan to eat them 99% of the time, and eat them fresh. freezing trout can work, but i don`t like it, it becomes just some fish instead of an awesome meal. they should remember that trout has been put and take for over a hundred years, what makes them think natural stocking is suddenly going to supply the trout we clearly want to catch and eat? the enviroment is starting to recover, and fish numbers are generaly up in recent years, now we should help things out with proper stocking. if smallies only tasted better more often.....

and stock stripers too!

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The tournament directors get a permit from DNR that allows the tournament participants to hold 5 fish in their live well only during a tournament. The rest of the time it is 2 fish limit
Any of the tournamnts I've been to, they release all the bass as soon as they are weighed, the weighmaster gives the fish to one of the helpers ad they are imediatley released into the body of water they were caught in. You don't need a live well to illegally transport live fish. I don't think these guys are bouncing 40,000 dollar bass boats into little lakes just to release a few bass. A lot of the lakes that have bass in them are not accessible with these big boats, it is more than likely some idiot with a bucket that doesn't have the brain capacity to understand that what he is doing is destroying a fishery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts