New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
The trout see so few flies around here they're not too selective. Just about any small fly will get some action as long as it's close to what's hatching. Try misquitos, zug bugs, Adams, Hendricks, mayflys, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you recommend green machines. if so what size.
I've caught lots on small green machines but have much better luck with the more traditional trout flies. If you're using small salmon flies just about any bug will work, just some better than others. Natural deer hair is my preference, even over green machines.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I've caught lots on small green machines but have much better luck with the more traditional trout flies. If you're using small salmon flies just about any bug will work, just some better than others. Natural deer hair is my preference, even over green machines.
I second that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nick give zug bugs a try too. They work well on waters where the trout like Royals, also try small muddlers in different colours for the bigger trout. For muddlers I go with black and red in the spring and move toward natural/tan with orange or yellow later in the season. I use maraboo to add the colour to the wing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nick give zug bugs a try too. They work well on waters where the trout like Royals, also try small muddlers in different colours for the bigger trout. For muddlers I go with black and red in the spring and move toward natural/tan with orange or yellow later in the season. I use maraboo to add the colour to the wing.
yes i forgot i love muddler minnows expecially for trout i caught a nice trtout on a huge #4 hook muddler minnow i make them all the time

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like using a parachute dry fly with a bright wing post (white or flourescent) calftail or antron in those shaded pools and runs. Beetles and terrestrial patterns work great too as the season warms up.

·
2,366 Posts
You're after brookies and/or sea-run brookies? Can you tie your own flies? If so, tie these two suckers. They're all you'll need!

·
2,366 Posts
The orange one is called the Miracle Orange. Go to the dollar store or Micheal's (art's supplies) and buy 8 1/2" x 11" foam sheets. They have them at the Great Canadian Dollar Store @ 4 for $1. You then proceed to cut little ovals out of them, around 1/4" in lenght for a #8 hook. You begin by tying on the red deer hair for the tail, then the foam, then use a reddish-brown feather for the hackle. Takes about ten minutes or less to tie.

The other one is called the bug. It takes me about a half hour to do because of the trimming. First, you tie on the black deer hair for the tail. Then, proceed to "spin" on the deer hair for the body: Take a clump of natural colored deer hair about the size of a pencil eraser and spin it on (kind of holding it at an angle for the first wrap or two, then pull tight to puff it up, then do a few more wraps to hold it down good), followed by red of the same amount, then another clump of natural again. Then, proceed to trim the hair to shape the body. If you want it to float high, trim less. For it to sink about 2-4 inches (which is best, by the way, in my opinion) trim more off. Finally, get a grizzly hackle feather and do 5 or 6 wraps around the body for the hackle.

These are the only two flies I fish trout with. If one doesn't produce, I put on the other. Never fails. If there's nothing biting, it's because there's nothing there. No word of a lie!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
this post is a little messed up, but that's life.
great flies str00ver. i have trimed myself a few times with one that looks like your mirical orange, except i made it with black foam for a stand out moose fly look. by trimed i mean i have caught myself with them while kayak fishing in to much wind! lol, i like them best in a calm lake near a point.
nobody mentioned the basic white parachute/gnat fly. these aren't just for bass, they work well when dabbled too. they also have the bonus of working as a nymph after they have been eaten a bit...lol!

·
Registered
395 Posts
The orange one is called the Miracle Orange. Go to the dollar store or Micheal's (art's supplies) and buy 8 1/2" x 11" foam sheets. They have them at the Great Canadian Dollar Store @ 4 for $1. You then proceed to cut little ovals out of them, around 1/4" in lenght for a #8 hook. You begin by tying on the red deer hair for the tail, then the foam, then use a reddish-brown feather for the hackle. Takes about ten minutes or less to tie.

The other one is called the bug. It takes me about a half hour to do because of the trimming. First, you tie on the black deer hair for the tail. Then, proceed to "spin" on the deer hair for the body: Take a clump of natural colored deer hair about the size of a pencil eraser and spin it on (kind of holding it at an angle for the first wrap or two, then pull tight to puff it up, then do a few more wraps to hold it down good), followed by red of the same amount, then another clump of natural again. Then, proceed to trim the hair to shape the body. If you want it to float high, trim less. For it to sink about 2-4 inches (which is best, by the way, in my opinion) trim more off. Finally, get a grizzly hackle feather and do 5 or 6 wraps around the body for the hackle.

These are the only two flies I fish trout with. If one doesn't produce, I put on the other. Never fails. If there's nothing biting, it's because there's nothing there. No word of a lie!
What size of hook r u using for the "Bug"? This is dry?

·
2,366 Posts
Hey gdog, I tie them in #6 (spring) or #10 (summer), and I start fishing them dry, and if they don't hook nor hit, I fish them wet, then they either hook or there's nothing in there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey gdog, I tie them in #6 (spring) or #10 (summer), and I start fishing them dry, and if they don't hook nor hit, I fish them wet, then they either hook or there's nothing in there.
Hey stroover -- Ok, I just make one with the same type of hook that I usually use for a small green machine... However, I don't like it, too much red I think.. but I will do a few more this week

·
2,366 Posts
Hey stroover -- Ok, I just make one with the same type of hook that I usually use for a small green machine... However, I don't like it, too much red I think.. but I will do a few more this week
Gdog, you want the middle red stripe to be roughly a third of the whole body. I spin a pencil eraser's size of natural deer hair, then the same amount of red, then the same amount of natural again, then I start trimming. Start with the black tail. You want it to be almost the same lenght as the body or a little less. (I know, in the picture it's longer. That turned out to be a screw up. Shorter turns out to be better). I like to add about 4 strands of crystal flash in the tail, though the recipe doesn't call for it. Finish off with a grizly hackle at the head, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For small brooks I would say the go to fly would be a pheasant tail flashback nymph. They are in every fresh body of water. Try them from size 10 to 18. You can get beadhead versions too that work well for sinking your fly to the bottom of fast moving water. My personal favorite fly. You can tie them with out the flashback and with black beads to make it look more natural if the fish are spooky.

I also like egg patterns if smelt, gasperaux, or other species of trout are spawning up stream. Size 12-16 - Depends on the type of fish spawning

Hares Ear nymph is also a good fly but is better for deeper slower moving water. I find they work better if they have flashback on them as this helps as an attractor and it also simulates air being trapped by the wing case. size 8-16. You can also get bead head versions so the fly will sink down to where the trout are feeding quicker.

If you can get a stomach pump and pump any trout around 10 inches in length and up. This is a good indicator of what they might be after.

A few more flys for your box may be:
Copper John 8-16 tied with different colors of copper wire. The copper color is usually a good choice but have had luck using gold colored and red. Depends alot on the hatches.
Zebra Midge 8-18 tied with different colored bodies and wire. Usually black floss for the body with fine silver wire for the ribbing. Many many different combinations to try with this.
San Juan worm size 10-18 in different colors. I use red, light brown, and a light purple. You can try different colors and use beads also with this fly. Very easy to tie.
Little Brassie 12-18. Great fly with just fine wire (any color you want) and peacock herl. There are days when this is the only fly producing. I like the little brassie tied with gold wire.

Alot of times if I am not producing I will use a strike indicator to control my depth (able to make the fly sit on top, middle or bottom of water column) and will try different size flys. Sometimes a 1 foot change in depth with a smaller size fly will catch you fish all day while others keep striking out. (A good strike indicator will let you know what is happening under the water and will help you hook more fish)

I think midge patterns are the best for producing fish while nymphing. Only problem is there is alot of them. 1000's. If you want ideas just type midge patterns in google and some will show up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts