New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
hi all....

im planning a trip this upcoming weekend to fish some different parts of the saint john river and/or tribs, and im not from the area.

I hit the SJ last season afew times to go after musky mostly, but love fishn smallmouth, pickerel and other fish as well, and im somewhat familiar with parts of the river from about oromocto to woodstock.

just wondering if anybody else has been out yet and if they could give me heads up on any kind of fish activity, water conditions (height and temp), weed growth, whats workin and whats not etc etc.

if nothing else i'll be using this weekend as a scouting trip for later in the year, im pretty much 99% catch n release and would also apreciate any advice on places to camp if there is any? ive got 4 days off so plan on hittn afew different places.

iI'll offer some tips from my end and say the weather has been great down in NS and the smallmouth are hittn topwater like crazy gettn ready to spawn, the pickerel are in full force and theres plenty of oppertunity for brown trout, stripped bass and shad in the tidal waters.

thx

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have not fished the johnny yet this year, the river is tough in the early season, but i'd expect it wont be too hard to find a few pass and pickerel. you might be hard pressed to get a muskie to hit this early in the season but i heard about someone catching a 3 foot something a little over a week ago, the gentleman said it might have been a muskie but he didnt get a good look at what they pulled in.

good luck!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fished the Salmon river in Chipman on Thurs. Water is about 4-6 feet above normal but we still managed to boat 13 pickeral, the largest was 22" Water was 47 when we started around 1030 and up to 58 when we finished at 6pm .We managed to get good sunburns as it was an excellent sunny day!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for the heads up guys

jay, i'd love to hear where abouts on the river that muskie was hooked?

casey, if you dont mind me asking, where were the majority of pickerel you guys caught holding? shallow close to shore or deeper? and what time of day was most productive for you?

my plan would be to target some of the smaller warmer water as my gut tells me thats where most of the fish will be most active, coming or going getting ready to spawn....any truth to this?

ive found the river to be tough fishin, but also very rewarding when you do key in....... weathers not looking prime but dont think i can pass up a chance to get out and at least get a feel for whats goin on up there, what is learned now could be a big help further into the season.......

thx again guys

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was out in the washeamoak and a bit of the SJ river sunday(6th of may), we found the pickerel were hanging in the shallows. We caught 10 in the afternoon, all in shallow water. I had a monster hit my lure in less than 2 feet of water, in a flooded field with long grass sticking out of it. We tried fishing deeper water along the shore (points and bays) and only got 1 or 2 lazy hits and no takers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ya, same as Mike, trolling shallower areas along bushes and casting to the shoreline where there was any grass. Got 5or 6 fish real quick around 11am then it was pretty slow until later in the afternoon around 4 pm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as I suspected it seems NB is about 2 weeks or so behind the water here in NS......greatly apreciate the tips guys and i'll be sure to post my "report" in this thread when im back

·
Registered
15 Posts
Upper SJR, between Hartland and Bristol is great this time of year for bass and some real lunker of bows. Mouth of any trib is great. There is 6 or 7 good size streams that empty into the SJR in a 15 mile stretch and all are known to house large rainbows at the mouth in the high water this time of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts