New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody in our fishing community have ever fished these lakes near Sackville,NB?
Are there boat ramps? or easy boat access? Lots of rocks? Depth?
What kind of fish are in there?

Thanks.
Rob.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey rob.c i live in sackville and i have fished there but not with a boat but i am this year just got one.there are small mouth, white and yellow perch and the odd trout.boat access is good you will need a truck to get over the bridge or something with some clearance. depth do not know but they are not overly deep 10 feet max.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey rob.c i live in sackville and i have fished there but not with a boat but i am this year just got one.there are small mouth, white and yellow perch and the odd trout.boat access is good you will need a truck to get over the bridge or something with some clearance. depth do not know but they are not overly deep 10 feet max.
Is the bridge not in good shape? Give me a little more info?
Thanks.
Rob.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I fished silver lake last year (just the spillway river part) and had really great luck. The DNR stocked silver lake about 3 years ago. I believe this year these trout will be of a decent size as last year I was getting 6-9 inches consistently. Not only that but it was some of the best trout fishing action I have had in a long time. I don't know about the lake proper but the river leading out of it was fantastic last year. As well there were some people catching a lot of perch. I did not hear of any smallmouth being caught though. I'll have to go back and try the lake itself this year.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't made it down there yet. But I hope to take the wife and kids soon.

Rob.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was there about a month ago. The water was very warm. The lake is very shallow for the most part.
8-10 feet max. I caught a couple perch, and a few chubs. I didn't see any signs of smallies.
I won't be going back. I didn't really like the lake.

Rob.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was there about a month ago. The water was very warm. The lake is very shallow for the most part.
8-10 feet max. I caught a couple perch, and a few chubs. I didn't see any signs of smallies.
I won't be going back. I didn't really like the lake.

Rob.
Thanks A lot! I might try if I am in the area, but after your info I think I will forget about fishing there. Thanks a bunch!

Tight lines,
Trenton <><

·
Registered
407 Posts
So I tried jolicure small lake on friday, the fishing was actually quite good from shore, but I noticed where its a national wildlife preserve, it has an outboard restriction of 9.9hp 4 stroke or less. Seems likes a really good spot for a canoe day trip. Definatly need a 4x4 to cross the wooden bridge. I don't believe silver has an outboard restriction so I will be putting my boat in at some point and will post on here how the fishing was. There's a ton of white perch and the odd smallie in jolicure from what I experienced on friday.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Guys;

I lived in Sackville for the first 32 years of my life, so I am very familliar with having fished the Sackville/Jolicure areas over the years. As far as Silver Lake goes, I would not waste my time. The lake is warm, murky and very shallow these days, and the only trout you would find there are fish that are stocked at the bridge as a put and take winter fishery. Most of these fish will go over the falls to the stream below once the summer weather comes, as this is the only way they could survive. That is why madaboutfishing had good fishing below the falls. In all my years in Sackville, the only places we caught trout in the lake that were not stocked was at the mouth of both Joe Brook (Mount View Road), and Ogden Mill Brook (Walker Road Area), and the odd one which made it's way to the cement bridge before the falls. These were trout that migrated from the brooks to the lake, and some of them did grow quite large. Other species caught were suckers, eels, and lots of golden shiners. I have never known of any smallmouth in Silver Lake, unless someone recently tried putting them in.

As far as Jolicure Lakes, we sometimes caught trout in the spillways and streams (along with yellow and white perch), but rarely in the lakes themselves. As you fould out, there is mostly perch there, and the white perch were the predominant species. Smallmouth bass were stocked in Long Lake, but not that many. DNR had some old breeders - 66 fish in total that were put in there years ago, and some managed to breed, as I reported to DNR a few years after they were put in there that I had caught 8 smallmouth between 6 and 10 inches off of the bridge on a fly, along with a 20 inch breeder. (This is going back 30 years). I do not know what the status would be today, but I can tell you that smallmouth are not a native fish to Jolicure Lakes. If there has been no attempt at stocking since that time 30 years ago, then any smallmouth today are descended from those original 66 fish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Black1987;

When you are referring to Jolicure Small Lake, are you talking about the long narrow lake which the road crosses over in the middle via bridge? I'm just curious as I do not know which one you are referring to as Small Lake? As the perch are still numerous, I'm assuming they were mostly small.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ya the small lake is the one where the bridge is and there is water on each side. We caught 1 16"smallie and several white perch mostly between 5-8" all within an hour from 430-530pm. Used crawler on silver spinner and was getting hits every cast. I was sort of impressed as I'm sure I had some solid hits that could of been bass. I'm definatly throwing the canoe in the big lake, looks like there is a possible launch once u cross the bridge. Ill post on here whenever I do go make a day trip. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Once you cross the bridge, go a mile or two to a T in the road. Turn left and it leads to a decent launch on the big lake. If you go in the late summer/early fall, watch for bears. It's full of apple trees just past the bridge and, well, you know!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Black1987;

If I could ask, what was the condition of the road up as far as the bridge? This lake is locally known as Long Lake. Also, the lake that Lobsterman is referring to is the last of the 3 main lakes in Jolicure, which is Big Jolicure Lake. His directions to the lake are accurate. Just so you know, I am not aware of any smallmouth bass ever having been put into either the first or third lakes; only the second (Long Lake).

Lobsterman, it appears from your knowlege of how to get there that you may have fished Big Jolicure Lake recently. It has been many years since I have been in to Big Jolicure Lake, and I am wondering if you have had any sucess there yourself?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry Mikk, I have never fished there. I tried to get in there for duck hunting on Oct. 1 with a 11' 6" 30-pound itsy-bitsy tin canoe. The wind was howling like a banshee both times I tried, which is not conducive to such a light and small watercraft, so I never did set foot in the lake for hunting. I'm not a big fan of swimming in October during a wind storm while trying to haul in a flipped canoe, a 12 gauge, a bag full of gear and a cooler. I had planned to go back and try fishing it but never did get a 'round tuit.' Those 'round tuits' seem to be in short supply.

Eventually I will get there with a rod in my hand instead of shotgun.

Just a heads up folks, if your vehicle is low to the ground, exercise caution crossing that bridge which has a pronounced hump and could hang you up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts