New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The season opened in shepody river on Sunday. Just wondering if anyone had any luck?
Hi everyone, just getting use to this, my first post.....

We were at the river Sunday and Monday for a while, We did not get anything, bait nor fly. Man did it rain Monday, but surprisingly warm for there..

We did see a flock of 70 plus cormorants stretch across the river making their way along coming up with all kind os fish, I ould say trout and fairly good sized at that. If they kepp working together with this type of fishing technique. It will definetly be hard on the fish population. they did this in my pond and cleanded out 2500 11" to 14" trout in an afternoon.

Tight lines and have a great and safe season everyone!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Time for a shag shoot?
Something....
On my pond they were three groups, they started at different points and swam towards each other surrounding the fish then gorging themselves.

They were using a simular technique on the river......These are not to be confused with the Loons which tske onky what the need to sustain themslves and young in a helathy manner. Loons do not gorge themselves upchuck then go back for more.

In my humble opinion cormorants can do more damage to a fishery than one would ever believe.

If they continue to fish there unchecked it will be interesting to see how the fishery will decline. DNR should check them for lic., daily catch limit and size restrictions...
:)

Sorry for the rant that was my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Get the 12 gauge out and shoot everyone you see! If only the DNR would allow people to clean these birds out. Should be allowed to shoot them all year around!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get the 12 gauge out and shoot everyone you see! If only the DNR would allow people to clean these birds out. Should be allowed to shoot them all year around!!
Varmint Licence. http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/HuntTrap-e.pdf#pagemode=bookmarks

Cormorant
No limit
March 1-Sept. 20, 2010
March 1-Sept. 20, 2011

The problem with killing them to near extinction is they would be put on the endangered list and then forever be protected. What a catch 22 situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts