New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
What are people using to heat their ice shelters and shacks? Kissmybass has a neat little home-made wood stove that nicely fits in the corner, and I've read that propane camp stoves help raise the temperature a few degrees in portables.

-------------------------------------

Being a combination of amazingly cheap where I can be and deeply amateur tinkerer, I've been fooling around with "wood gasification microstoves" as a way to heat my pop-up shelter for those colder winter days (oh, all right, and because I like to play with fire). Did my first build and after seeing the surprising amount of heat that a single handful of pellets gives off, will be doing a second and more efficient one based on learnings. The design is two standard steel cans (peaches, soup, etc.), with strategically placed holes, similar to this:

How to build video (skipped to final design showing; go back to start to see the full tutorial)

Just remind me not to take a nap in my shelter when using it. :-D

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
We use old-fashioned pot belly wood stoves. We have one in our shack now, and I have a spare one in my garrage and am open to the possibility of selling it. I was going to maybe post it on Kijiji for like $100 OBO.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob if you do, tin snips are a better option than a knife for getting that big hole as precise as possible. From what I've seen you want that seal to be reasonably tight.

There's a bunch of other designs out on youtube, including one that's basically the same but uses a larger soup can that fits precisely into a 1 quart paint can without having to cut that first hole (think I'll try that one next). Some people also used a CPU fan powered by a rechargeable phone battery to get a pure blue flame.

·
2,366 Posts
You can also make and use beer can burners.

I made and tried a couple in my buddy's little 4x8 ice shack last winter, and it works pretty good. The only thing is, they only burn for about ten minutes and then you have to re-fill them with alcohol.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
we used to used tobacco cans with a roll of toilet paper soaked in diesel or fuel oil, lasted longer than expected and burned fairly clean - good for a small shack but as Retroboy said, don't fall asleep. that keep awake applies to all heat for portables - co2 and co1 can be silent killers. check every once in a while to see if you can light a match or lighter - if you can't open the door!

·
2,366 Posts
we used to used tobacco cans with a roll of toilet paper soaked in diesel or fuel oil, lasted longer than expected and burned fairly clean - good for a small shack but as Retroboy said, don't fall asleep. that keep awake applies to all heat for portables - co2 and co1 can be silent killers. check every once in a while to see if you can light a match or lighter - if you can't open the door!
<a>Funny you should mention that, ipop. A fella was telling me the same thing last winter. But I think he said they soaked it in alcohol or buthane</a>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd bet alcohol is safer for another reason - kerosene or gas on the hands would do horrible things to the smell of a piece of bait, but alcohol would evaporate off more completely and much faster.

iPop, I'm guessing you had some kind of dampener lid on them so it was the fuel vapor, not the TP, that was burning?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use a single burner propane stove in my portable, heats it VERY well..ive used it in friends permanent shacks as well and it warms them up fairly good..in the pop-up tho ive had to open the door or windows just because it was to darn hot

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was thinking about cutting the hole smaller and then make small slits in tin to accomodate the tight fit of the can being inserted. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are right Retroboy . the smell of petrol is not good . Also alcohol is better on the tongue than the hands.. Just make sure there is LOTS of ventilation no matter what you are burning.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Buddy of mine users a Tabacco can roll of toilet paper , methol hydrate . Work great for a small shack . Be careful you can't see the flame

1 - 12 of 12 Posts