New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on shad fishing along the Northumberland Straight. For example on the Cocagne river or the Bouctouche? or even the Miramichi or Tabusintac? I'm know that there is a population on the Miramichi but the locals are more into trout and salmon fishing and rarely try for shad.
Thanks for the help anglers!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We fish Shad Locally on Salmon river in the Chipman area , there is also a good run of Shad on the Canaan river in the Coles island area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We fish Shad Locally on Salmon river in the Chipman area , there is also a good run of Shad on the Canaan river in the Coles island area.
When do the start running.. I have caught them off the port here in saint john but never on a fly rod.... sounds fun...

·
Registered
260 Posts
We usually start catching them starting the long weekend, it certainly won"t be long now

·
Registered
438 Posts
We usually start catching them starting the long weekend, it certainly won"t be long now
If like anything else They may be early this year...the trout are quite early on a certain brook i fish...u likely know what one i talking about...a week early form what i figure judging by the distance i went to get into them...got some real nice run trout when i finally found them...was up there so far i thought about having a sleep half way back and walking the rest of the way out in the morning lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey PJ you come out of Hibernation I see..Great to hear about the Fish being up..

·
Registered
351 Posts
I know theres a shad tourment in the salmon river, it held up by the salmon river lodge.Not sure when it is , but it should be pretty soon ,if i see the flyer i'll put in the date

·
Registered
260 Posts
We use flies (Nymph)and have no trouble getting them. If you are a Spin Caster ,Shad darts are usually available @ Walmart and they take them also.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Well boys, that was a pretty fun tourney! Nobody caught any shad (at least by the time JJbeers and I had left shortly before 5pm), but I personally caught pretty much everything ELSE that river had to offer! Lol! Had that been a species tourney like the NB Paddlers Fishing Derby next weekend or the Hammond River Classic on July 16th and 17th, I would've been in the leaderboards for sure! Lol!

Thanks Sam and Ralph for that fun event! I'm looking forward to attending again next year. And next year, you might want to think about having people camp over-night the Friday before or something. I would've liked to be able to socialize more with the guys prior to fish-off. The restaurant breakfast was nice, but I think an over-nighter would add an extra "umph!".

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sam, how did it end? Did anybody catch any shad? How did you declare a winner if not?
We did have four Shad registered by the end of the day. The number that were Landed were down from previous years but with the temperatures down to 12 degree's and smoke rolling out of the few hardy souls that were at there camps it was a tough day fishing Shad as you know. I ended up hooking five in total but only landed 1. Alex lost at least 3. I seen others hooked and lost from later in the afternoon right up until 8 PM . Peter and Blair form down your way( I do not like to use there last names on line )each were drawn for a guided Spring Salmon fishing Trip @ the Ledges Inn that was Kindly donated by the kings County Inn (Chipman) and the Ledges Inn( Doaktown).

·
Registered
22 Posts
The tornament was good fun, would not use a boat and motor again though....it is to shallow in to many places

Still would have liked to hooked up a shad...how about a post when they are starting to move better. Might be able to take a run up after work for a few casts.....also a hint or two where a person could access them besides that great spot in front of Alice's camp??? Where Gaspero brook runs in? where the bridge crosses it near there?? up near the pipes by the park area??

We look forward to getting together with the group again next year.....it was a great group of guys...it is nice to get together with a group and enjoy a day fishing.

Fish safe tight lines and good luck....

·
Registered
260 Posts
JJ the Mouth of big Forks is also a good pool as soon as the water temp goes up a little. I am going up again. The commercial Gasperreau fisherman have been seeing above average number of Shad in Grand Lake for some time now so as soon as it warms up, Bang Oh! The Next couple of weeks will make for Great Shad fishing. I have a couple of trips to the Cains planned this week, the White Perch are usually in Maquapit Lake this week also and a few Grilse have been caught in Doaktown. As my Buddy Goodfly wood Say June is a magical month.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts