New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys taking your shacks off the ice? In the Telegraph Journal today, they're almost trying a scare tactic to get us off the ice. In my opinion, I think it's pretty safe where the shacks are at, but if somebody's gonna go snowmobiling accross where the ferry goes and sinks his sled under water (no ice there to begin with), that's a different story.
What's you guys' take on this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Are you guys taking your shacks off the ice? In the Telegraph Journal today, they're almost trying a scare tactic to get us off the ice. In my opinion, I think it's pretty safe where the shacks are at, but if somebody's gonna go snowmobiling accross where the ferry goes and sinks his sled under water (no ice there to begin with), that's a different story.
What's you guys' take on this?
Yeah,the ice this year isn't solid and there are strong currents wearing away what ice is there in certain areas.I am almost at the point of not taking my truck out to the shack on the Cameron,just to be on the safe side.A buddy who was cutting a hole yesterday claims there is 16'' of ice,That'a probably true , but there is a lot of water on top of the ice already. I am almost certain that the shacks will be off really early this year unless we get a major freeze soon.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah,the ice this year isn't solid and there are strong currents wearing away what ice is there in certain areas.I am almost at the point of not taking my truck out to the shack on the Cameron,just to be on the safe side.A buddy who was cutting a hole yesterday claims there is 16'' of ice,That'a probably true , but there is a lot of water on top of the ice already. I am almost certain that the shacks will be off really early this year unless we get a major freeze soon.
Yeah, I think ours will come off the last weekend of February.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mines already off ! heheheheeh

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the ice is actualy building on top, as it often does. this makes it look like the shacks are sinking into the ice, but that isn't what's happening.

trying to do the "run across the ice without sinking because of high speed" should start with the understanding that it might not work! that's why they show it on tv! we get a snowmobile going through the ice every second year or so in the area, most often west/down river from star island, the one just down from the millidgeville ferry landing. flying in towards shore on a sled isn't smart, it sends a wave in ahead of you, then you meet it just off shore - bad situation. they warn against it all the time on ice road truckers. you need to slow down before you near shore, which inturn is not a good idea if you are trying to water walk with a skidoo! lol

i do expect to have to have the shacks off early this year, like addicted2, that's why i didn't set mine up this year, i'm using the portable instead. last week, that looked like a mistake, this week, weeeeeell, i would have been glad i waited...and that my shack is built on stilts to avoid that ice build up problem.

·
2,366 Posts
Yeah, I think we're screwed. That ice build-up you talked about? Our shack has about 2 inches of water inside on the floor up through the hole. We had it sitting on beams, but I guess they weren't big enough. By the time we get jacks and stuff together by tomorrow or Friday, that'll all be frozen up no doubt. Good thing we built it modular: at least we'll only lose the floor, and hopefully we'll be able to salvage THAT by spring with our kayaks, assuming the tide doesn't wash it out instead of on shore. Lol!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
about 6 years back i was sitting in a friends shack at renforth making plans for a new shack for myself. i looked around and noticed the ice building up on top of the water, and the trouble a group was having jacking their shack up out of the ice. it's really common here to just put them on a set of rails, hobbs - even skies and concrete blocks, then skirt in around this to keep that cold wind out. i was thinking of using some 2" foam triangle's i had that were 2' per side - i was thinking it would give me a good base. then i realized the problems i would be in if the ice built up - i would have to break up the foam, making a mess that might get me a fine. hmmm. so i searched places like ice shack.com for ideas and instead came up with one of my own, the stilt idea. i thought the worse that could happen was i would have to chop down a stilt or 2. the next year i built it...and we ended up with a ice year like this - lots of water and slush on top of the ice. my idea kept me dry while fishing (i hung the floor off the posts/studs about 14" from the bottom, the ice built up 10"!) and when it came time to take it down, i just peeled of the panels and roof, then shook/swayed the structure back and forth a bit...and all but 1 post was easy to pop out. this was a great disappointment to my buddy poco, who was looking forward to kicking down the posts. instead he got to kick one out of the ice...while standing in 14" of very cold water! this would have been funny to watch as it was, but when it didn't pop off the first kick, he backed up for a better shot at it...and stepped in the hole!!! lol, he didn't go down past his knees - it was a good thing he had that last post to grab! lol

anyway, other than 2 years ago, when i had to knock 3 posts out, breaking one, that's the most trouble i have had taking it off/out of the ice and fishing from it...except when it almost killed me last year (WIND!), but that's another story! LOL!

str00ver, a day or two into our next heat wave, see if you can pry it up, or chew a hole so you can get a jack under it. if not, think salt or rent a propane or electric jack hammer! it would break it out pretty quick, so long as it was warm enough so that the floor isn't frozen/stuck to the ice too. if you try it while it's still cold, you will probabley just break a hole in the floor. 'luck!

·
2,366 Posts
We managed to get 'er up. We had to chip enough ice to get a jack uner the truss, then as we started jacking she just popped out of the ice, and we were able to put cinder blocks uner it. It should last until the last weekend of February when we take 'er down.

Ipop, how did the stilts work for ya? I was thinking about rigging something like that on ours for next year, and like you said, worst case scenario we take the chain saw to the stilts at the end of the season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts