New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though it would be nice to have a forum on Building shacks...The time has come to start your new shack or fix up last years. befor you know it the ice will be in and the shacks will be out.. Build now whaile its still warm , unless you have a garage to bulid in LOL...

As I said in a previous post with stroover im kind of addicted to building these shacks. I sold my last years shack and am now building a new one.. And 8 x 12 fully insulated and sided and built on a homemade 8 x 12 duel axle trailer.. No more loading onto a trailer or buildng on the ice ... drive on drive off !

So far the trailers built, the first layer of floor is down, and the 2 side walls are framed. I must get some pics to post on the progress... Hopefully Ill have it built and framed for this year then work on the interior next year so i can pay some bills LOL

Happy Building
Cheers Jay

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Casey , i did quickly check t out , the only one Ive come across is a fella yurned and old pop up tent trailer into a shack .. pretty neat ..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i guess i should have put my other icefishing info about the community shack here - ohps!!
addicted, sounds like a lap-o-luxury condo there! way to go!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey ipop , yes its going to be something alright .. Should be the last shack i ever build ( For Myself ) I just ordered the insulation and siding today. Picked up the rooled roofing on the weekend down in calais. There reg price is exactly half of the reg price here in saint john... Just need to find a couple lengths of insulated stovepipe. Should have the roof and insulation and siding done in a cople weeks. Ill post pics on progress..This year ill have it fishable with all the exterior work done then ill work on the pine interior for next year ... Pretty excited about it !!

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey ipop , yes its going to be something alright .. Should be the last shack i ever build ( For Myself ) I just ordered the insulation and siding today. Picked up the rooled roofing on the weekend down in calais. There reg price is exactly half of the reg price here in saint john... Just need to find a couple lengths of insulated stovepipe. Should have the roof and insulation and siding done in a cople weeks. Ill post pics on progress..This year ill have it fishable with all the exterior work done then ill work on the pine interior for next year ... Pretty excited about it !!
taking all that time do that work?? jay when will you ever find the time to paint your door pink?? sounds nice jay I will see you in a couple of months same time same place can't wait to see your new pad..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes its taking a long time lol not actually building time just finding the time to do it .. On my days off im daddy daycare, and working 12 hour shifts doesnt leave anytime afterwork .. also we have a trailer down the states we hit on the weekends but thats closing up soon.. Right now I have all but 4 roof trusses up. Will post a pick when there done next week.. The siding and insolation we ordered is supposed to be in today actually, and the sky lights, havent come in yet so a little wait on that as well... But it will be ready b4 the snow flies!

How was your summer? mine was busy busy busy, only got out fishing in NB once this year
( Luckily our campground is on a lake that is stocked yearl with speckled trout and the lake behind us is full of bass and pickerel so i got a little fishing in there ...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the latest progress, rafters are on roof is on , door is on, Very slow process when you only get a couple hours here and there to build.. Waiting on skylights to come in , and hopefully the siding and insulation will begin next weekend ..
[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have the shack nicely insolated and sided now as you can see.. Getting there , We will be ready for ice in !!!
Just have to install the skylites and the stove pipe , then build the floor ... !! Almost there !!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Styk, Im not to sure on the weight but it shouldnt be too too bad, im pretty sure it will be pretty heavy which is why i went with the dual axle , divide the weight on 4 tires .. Once its complete id like to take it and get it weighed at brookville just to see...

Stroover there are some pics in my gallery , Ill see if i can get somemore this afternoon of the interior. I have the benchs over the tires framed and the wood storage box framed as well. They are also bench seating, The subframe for the 2nd floor section is done for the most part, and the floor where the woodstove is located is complete.. I just have to position my fishing holes then put the rest of the flooring down. Hopefully the roof will go on this wednesday weather permitting of course.. The weather has really slowed us down. Because both my wife and I work, and when im on my days off I have the kids so I only get 1 -2 days a week i can work on it , and its been raining on those days my last month and a half.. GRRRRRR!!! The interior walls will be either tunge and groove pine or 1/4" meranti Sheets... I had bad experience with using meranti before but it was for the exterior, out of the elements it may be just fine, the cost savings is worth the shot !!

I tried to post pics in my updates but i couldnt get them, ill try again later , or just keep checking my gallery..
Hows your projuct comming along?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got a nice day to finish the roof.. Its finally done and stove pipe installed and hooked up .. The exterior is done!! Yeah Now time to get to work on the inside ! Im hoping to get 7 holes in the floor, Neded to order my interior lighting, install stereo and speakers, set up tv, and antenna for saturday night hockey !! have 1 month to get er done LOL

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks Joe

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
a2f/addicted, your signature quote says it all!

i checked the ice last night in millidgeville, about 4" at shore. i'm planning to take the auger tonight to see what it's like a little ways out. the new barriers at the end of the street are easily moveable to allow access for the shacks.

soon!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this weather is killing me ! Looks like I may be fishing in the tent this year !!

Ipop how did you make out last night.. Did ya get wet?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
nope, i stayed dry! lol

3 1/2 to 6" of ice in millidgeville, i worked my way out to just even with the far wharf. i had draper spotting me from shore, i would have stayed to fish but he had no gear and wasn't dressed for it.

maybe tonight, more likely monday.

this year i'm working poor, so i'll be fishing smelts for food. it's a good thing i love them!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts