New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm an amateur fisher wondering about setups. Here are some questions I have . And yes some of them might be stupid lol .

1. Line setups - spinners used alone ? or with a combination of worm ? any need for floaters ?

2. weight / water depth- what are the depth of the rivers usually ? how can i tell how much weight i should use to get deep ?

had more questions but i'll come back when I remember them

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well I'm an amateur fisher wondering about setups. Here are some questions I have . And yes some of them might be stupid lol .

1. Line setups - spinners used alone ? or with a combination of worm ? any need for floaters ?

2. weight / water depth- what are the depth of the rivers usually ? how can i tell how much weight i should use to get deep ?

had more questions but i'll come back when I remember them
First of all, there are no stupid questions when it comes to finding out about fishing.. education will be the key to getting better. Now to get to your questions..

As for line setups.. ( I personally don't use live bait but I do use spinners from time to time) Panther martins and mepps inline spinners are my favorite of the type. Many prefer to have a swivel attached to remove any spin or twist from the line but I have never had an issue with line twist that I couldn't handle and I find that it takes away from the action (personal preference completely) I don't use a line or strike indicator as I cast and retrieve these types of baits.

As for depth, this is dependant on the river and type of river you fish.. is it tidal? is it an outflow from a lake or is it a tributary from another river? Fish will hold in different locations in all of these types of river conditions. It is not normally difficult to find pools so i won't talk about that.. undercut banks, or stucture within the rivers are also good areas to locate fish. Rocks, downed logs or rootwads.. all hold fish. Remember they usually hold in areas just off or out of the current to save precious energy. Behind large rocks there will be eddy's or breaks in the current which allow them to hold easily. Undercut banks and rootwads as well as downed logs allow for protection from predators and get out of the heat if you are fishing in summer months..

All of these tips will definitely increase your chances of hooking fish. Once you know where to look and where fish should be then actually getting them is that much easier. Putting time in and paying attention to what you are doing and what those around you are doing will also increase your activity. Be patient and keep getting on the water.

Other methods of fishing such as using artificial baits or even fly fishing is another step in the education which will open up other options for you. You keep asking questions and I am sure you will continue to get answers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
few more questions .

1.weather conditions

2. line setups are far a leader , swivels etc. i need an easy set up to swap out bait/lures.. spinners how long of line after the spinner to hook ? and spinner used for lure or just to attract ?

3. trout moving up rivers. i see a bunch of post about gasperau how can i tell ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
as farvbas telling if they are gaspereau if you can see them clearly they almost always run in schools and have a pernounced forked tail whereas trout have a more square tail this works for me and a gashereau will take a hairs ear nymph pulled slowly thru the water i haave lots of fun catching and releasing them when there's nothing else to catch and play with...they are great fisghters on a light rod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts