New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how heavy the sea trout are running, did they just start? just ending? or the middle?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
It's hard to tell. The "run" has either happened early due to the water levels early in the season, or didn't happen yet. There are very few searun brookies that are being caught up and down the Hammond River, for example, from the Hwy 100 bridge all the way up to Silver Hill, but no big run has been reported as of yet. The fact that as of at least yesterday one or two were caught way up river could indicate that the run has been up and down already. To me, the water temp seems a little warm for this time of year, so if that's the case they may have already had their run before we could even fish for them. Who knows? just keep plugging away at it every day, then we'll know for sure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Allot, Hopefully they havnt started yet, any reports of regular brook trout being caught in the Hammond? Im thinking bout heading up towards Damascus/Smithtown bend by the bridge? Decent spot?

·
2,366 Posts
Like I say, there are no reports yet of many fish being caught. The odd one or two are being caught sporratically at various places, but nothing to write home about. As for spots, the water is still quite high, so if you're into flyfishing you might want to try at French Village covered bridge, from the pool upriver down to the bend, but I doubt you'll be wading comfortably. It's easier fishing waaaay upriver, but I only saw one 8" trout caught there on the weekend, so not really worth the drive. Still raining today and more tomorrow, so I doubt the water level will drop much by the weekend, but you never know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was down under the Hwy 100 Bridge and up by Damascus the last couple nights. No luck. Using a streamer fly, waters running to heavy and Wading is less than relaxing right now. I went up to Freddy last weekend and tried above the Mactaquac Dam, had a few Nibbles. Nashwaak river is flowing really heavy as well right now. To make a long story short I Wouldn't expect Fishing to be grand for another couple weeks. The Dam is at flood level and the Flood gates are open full right now. Even the spawning pools from the Dam to the Bucket club look like a mess. I have a feeling this season wont settle well until mid june, depending on weather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh as well, friends of mine have been trying for Sea Trout up river as well and haven't caught anything. So the run might not be there yet. Also I seen a few people pull some small trout out of the water down by the Angling Association with small spoons. This was last week.

·
Registered
177 Posts
About 2 weeks ago on the cocagne river, close to the mouth My friend's friend caught a 5 pound sea run brookie. He had a picture to prove it. As for some other rivers, I have not heard of anyone catching any, The run could be just starting, or have just ended. My suggestion is to get out as much as possible the next week and ask around, see if anyone has or is still catching them. As for me i caught on as well on cocagne river in notre dame only small about 12 inches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
About 2 weeks ago on the cocagne river, close to the mouth My friend's friend caught a 5 pound sea run brookie. He had a picture to prove it. As for some other rivers, I have not heard of anyone catching any, The run could be just starting, or have just ended. My suggestion is to get out as much as possible the next week and ask around, see if anyone has or is still catching them. As for me i caught on as well on cocagne river in notre dame only small about 12 inches.
...that could be true, but the main sea-trout run on the cocagne river doesn't usually happen until around the start of june

·
Registered
122 Posts
The way I trie to determine the run is when them annoying black flies are out. (We asked for it all winter to) Secondly, something has to trigger the run, so I believe it's the temp out in bay, sea, ocean...My view...

·
2,366 Posts
Resident brook trout =

sea-run brook trout =

The sea-run variety are visibly different in appearence, and tend to get considerably larger. Whether they actually go out to sea or just stay at the mouth of a river, doesn't really matter. Either way, they're quite different.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I here, and have seen a few nice trout caught out in the bays and mouths of rivers, so thats where to target them till they run. Don't know if the wind is going to keep them deep these days or not but I'm going to try a few spots at the mouth of the Cocagne river to see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I here, and have seen a few nice trout caught out in the bays and mouths of rivers, so thats where to target them till they run. Don't know if the wind is going to keep them deep these days or not but I'm going to try a few spots at the mouth of the Cocagne river to see.
It is usually good 3rd week of May, good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
hehe.. Jeff got it right.... been getting them way up the nashwaak already. This warm weather should really get them biting... up til now it's required slow fishing and patience... they haven't been slamming anything yet but I think that's a cold water thing. I noticed last weekend that when the sun was out they were biting but when it got cloudy they stopped

·
Registered
30 Posts
hehe.. Jeff got it right.... been getting them way up the nashwaak already. This warm weather should really get them biting... up til now it's required slow fishing and patience... they haven't been slamming anything yet but I think that's a cold water thing. I noticed last weekend that when the sun was out they were biting but when it got cloudy they stopped
TroutBum, could I ask what size you are getting? When you say 'up there', I assume you mean somewhere up river from Stanley?
I have been everywhere from barker dam to Nashwaak bridge in the last two weeks - I've ran into 10 - 12 inchers, but nothing more than that. I'll keep tryin' !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts