New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the sea trout run for the petitcodiac river? never fished sea trout just brookies so I was just wondering when and what parts are best?

·
Banned
97 Posts
When is the sea trout run for the petitcodiac river? never fished sea trout just brookies so I was just wondering when and what parts are best?
If you are trying to decide between another spot and the Petitcodiac I would say wait until May 1st and try the Petitcodiac. But if you're going to be fishing only the Petit then just go whenever you can because it can be hit or miss. In truth I've only seen any sea run brook trout last year in the 4 years I've been fishing it. Hopefully now that the head pond is gone they will come back even better than last year! But after the alewife (gaspereaux) come up the river I don't even bother. They are a good sign in my opinion as well, but I haven't caught any trout while they were there. However I'm no expert so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Last year it was like the river was boiling when the alewife were there!

·
Banned
169 Posts
I had great luck on the Petty first half of May then the Gaspereaux showed up and trout fishing slowed down a bit.

I was down on the Petty Saturday mainly to try out my new salmon gear and the water was high and dirty
wasn't really there to catch fish...just wanted to play around with my new rod and line to get a feel for it

If you are trout fishing the Petty try to put as many back in the river as possible. We need this run of trout to grow and last year the run really too a hit from all the hook n cook anglers. I am not saying don't keep any,,,hell my kids kept a few but just keep it to a minimum if you do decide to keep any

·
Banned
97 Posts
I had great luck on the Petty first half of May then the Gaspereaux showed up and trout fishing slowed down a bit.

I was down on the Petty Saturday mainly to try out my new salmon gear and the water was high and dirty
wasn't really there to catch fish...just wanted to play around with my new rod and line to get a feel for it

If you are trout fishing the Petty try to put as many back in the river as possible. We need this run of trout to grow and last year the run really too a hit from all the hook n cook anglers. I am not saying don't keep any,,,hell my kids kept a few but just keep it to a minimum if you do decide to keep any
Really important for this river right now! We need a few years of catch and release at the very least.

·
Banned
169 Posts
You need proof that trout are in trouble...just go to the C&R stretch of the Kennebecasis and see how many big trout (over 30cm's) you catch...This has been C&R for a while now and still this system is struggling IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help guys. And ya I was mainly just planning on taking my nerpew with me and do a little catch and relasing for the fun of the sport and get him into fishing keep a few if there a good size. Do you know of any other rivers close to the moncton area with sea trout runs? I heard canaan but I dont really know if that is true. What about the north river does that have a sea trout run?

·
Banned
97 Posts
thanks for the help guys. And ya I was mainly just planning on taking my nerpew with me and do a little catch and relasing for the fun of the sport and get him into fishing keep a few if there a good size. Do you know of any other rivers close to the moncton area with sea trout runs? I heard canaan but I dont really know if that is true. What about the north river does that have a sea trout run?
You should also read the fishing guide this year about eating trout and other fish over and under a certain size, as well as the recommendation for children and eating said fish. Another reason to keep less and/or zero fish.

"Mercury Contamination of Freshwater Fish

Eating fish caught in New Brunswick's lakes or rivers could increase the level of mercury in
your body. The following guidelines apply to the consumption of brook trout, lake trout,
landlocked salmon, smallmouth bass, perch, fresh water cusk (burbot), pickerel, striped bass
and catfish, but exclude Atlantic salmon:

1. Women of child-bearing age and children under eight years of age should limit
consumption of brook trout measuring less than 29 centimetres (12 inches) to one meal
per month. Avoid consumption of all other species, including brook trout measuring 29
centimetres or more. Pregnant women should avoid consumption of all freshwater fish
noted in this advisory.

2. For children eight years of age and older, male adults and women past childbearing age,
there is no restriction on consuming brook trout under 29 centimetres. Consumption of
brook trout measuring 29 centimetres and more should be limited to one meal per week.
Consumption of all other New Brunswick freshwater fish listed above should be limited to
one meal every two weeks."

·
Banned
169 Posts
gold spinner
the north river does get a sea run of trout..its the same run as the petty river. The north river drains into the petty river near Petticodiac. Pollett river would be the same. along with a crap load of brooks that drain into all 3 rivers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Little River - had Sea Trout in it just two weeks ago - not sure of status. Was out there 2 and 3 wks ago, lots of Gaspereaux and still good numbers of trout, both seckled and sea run - any kept from there was min of 8 inches - couple of them were in the 12-14 in range

What area of Little River - just East of 895 and south of Synton Road - The entire River should be good I would think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts