New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a trout fisherman. I was out today on my last day of salmon fishing for 2010 and was surprised to hook and released 5 big sea trout, the biggest of which was over 16 inches. I thought that trout fishing was best early in the summer when they come up the rivers. Is there a second run late in the season? Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not much of a trout fisherman. I was out today on my last day of salmon fishing for 2010 and was surprised to hook and released 5 big sea trout, the biggest of which was over 16 inches. I thought that trout fishing was best early in the summer when they come up the rivers. Is there a second run late in the season? Any thoughts appreciated.
probably trout preparing to spawn in that pool or trout that have finished spawning and are heading out.
oddly enough, there was a fella a few years back who caught two very large trout fishing smelt/herring off SJ port in the summer and I believe that the study on the trout in the kennebecasis cited that some large trout were heading downstream in the spring instead of migrating up like the rest of the average sized sea run trout.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A few years ago when they extended salmon season an extra week my fishing buddy and I hit a school of big trout running up the Miramichi. They were bright silver, just like the spring run. You could see them rising in a bogan, which normally wouldn't hold salmon so out of curiosity we made a few casts and were into some 2-4 pounders.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
most likely they are heading up the river to stay warm for the winter. some trout (mostly browns) can spawn twice a year, spring and winter, so they could be spawning still or a false spawning run, which can also happen. or they could be doing their regular spawn run. a lot of different answeres i'm afraid, but thats fishin'!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts