New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a pattern that would immitate a kaplan or smelt? I'm thinking a variation of the Clouser deep minnow or something. What do you use to flyfish mackerel with?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does anybody have a pattern that would immitate a kaplan or smelt? I'm thinking a variation of the Clouser deep minnow or something. What do you use to flyfish mackerel with?
Stroover,

I would just use a red head with flare.. should get theire attention!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Stroover,

I would just use a red head with flare.. should get theire attention!
Mylar minnows work good. So does a hook with a bit of flashabou. The biggest problem I had was that more mackeral hit my fly line than anything and I was using a crystal clear RIO suspending line. I would recommend using a tree of 3 flies to attract attention to the hooks instead of the line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello stroover, long time since I have logged onto this site

Here is a link for one saltwater fly from hatches magazine:
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/03/01/fur-trader-by-matt-grajewski/?utm_source=HatchesEmailNotSubscriber&utm_medium=web&utm_content=FurTrader&utm_campaign=3-3
If you haven't checked it out before it is a great resource.
What we use to jig mackeral is just pieces of brightly coloured skipping rope tied onto the shank of a hook, or two coloured poly tied on, we use a heavy weight to get it down. I have caught mackeral while out fishing on the fly, but the main problem is to get it to stay down, and to get it deep enough fast enough. I am not certain what the best set up would be, but I do know that one mackeral will bend a 8 wt rod like a pretzel
.....so a 12 weight or so I would think would be better, to accommodate the added weight to get it down deep.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Scott! Good to have you back!

I ended up tying a bunch of clouser minnows with dumbell eyes for weight. I used green, white, and crystal flash for the body to imitate a kaplan, and I also tied a short piece of red yard hanging below the throat to imitate an injury. I'll post pictures when I get back home if anybody is interested in my creation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stoover
Last spring I tied up some smelts without a pattern, just using dark blue, light blue and white crystal flash with a holographic eye to see how they'd work for black salmon and had some great results so I suspect they'd work for other species.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts