New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 8"6',6wt L.L.bean Angler fly rod outfit and was wondering if that is to light weight for salmon fishing in the Maramchi. I am going salmon fishing this summer and need to know if it will work.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Thats abit light for the main river. You might be able to get away with it on some of the tributaries depending on your experience. What will happen is you will end up playing the fish longer and letting it run when it wants so you don't break the rod. The longer you play the fish the harder it will be to recover and it can die.
My advise is go buy a 8 wt I have a more expensive rod but if you don't plan on fishing salmon much than something cheaper from CT or a local fly shop will do the job.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm glad you brought that up Brendan. I have a five weight St. Croix and I have asked a few questions myself about how big a fish would you dare fish for. Something told me inside to not trust it on the Miramichi as your chances of hooking a slamon are great. (I got it for trout on the Burntland) I agree with Gastch on playing the fish out and not being able to release it withought risk of the fish. So, I'm sticking to my Nine Weight. I had an eight weight, but someones dog broke it as I was playing a salmon. Grrrr...

Fredericton Outfitters has a great selection to choose from plus a couple affordable rod packages.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Id def go with a heavier rod, i fished with a 7 last year and found it a bit light, not bad but a heavier rod lets you have more control over the fish and get it in and back a lot quicker, which is really important when the water starts getting warmer so i think im going to get a 8 or 9 weight before spring

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Id def go with a heavier rod, i fished with a 7 last year and found it a bit light, not bad but a heavier rod lets you have more control over the fish and get it in and back a lot quicker, which is really important when the water starts getting warmer so i think im going to get a 8 or 9 weight before spring
Bass Tackle Plus in Saint John is a St Croix dealer, and I know he has 8 weight in stock, I was looking at it Thursday night.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bass Tackle Plus in Saint John is a St Croix dealer, and I know he has 8 weight in stock, I was looking at it Thursday night.
Where in saint John is bass tackle plus. I remember there was a bass tackle on marr road but it went out of business or something.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Where in saint John is bass tackle plus. I remember there was a bass tackle on marr road but it went out of business or something.
He didn't go out of business, he moved it into his garage and is open weeknight and Saturdays. He is at 172 Pauline St. you can call him at 645-1170

·
Registered
4 Posts
For years I used 8 and 9 wt rods for salmon,still do occasionally.Tried my 6 wt out one time and its my main salmon rod now.Ive landed fish up to 12 lbs on it with no problem.Would be under gunned for really large fish 15 lbs and up and or fishing in big water.I found it played the fish out just as fast as my 8 wt if not faster.I also found I lost less fish than on the bigger rod as while playing the fish its bent over all the way down to the handle and never gives the fish slack line to shake off and is always under constant pressure.But people just startin out I would recomend a 7 or 8 wt...I mean how many 25 lbers do we all hook each year?Always use a light tippet incase you do hook into a large one so you can break it off early. The guidline I use for rod purchase is the rod will handle a fish in lbs, 2 times the size of the rod...#6 rod=12 lb fish.Works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts