New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Hey guys, got a question for you: Do salmon ever "flash" on their sides (for lack of a better word)? I could see a douzen or so fish yesterday evening, and I wasn't sure what they were. They seemed to be a foot to two feet long and shaped like salmon. Many of them would kind of tilt to their side for a split second and it would make a kind of "flash" in the water. A few of them even jumped clear out of the water, and though it was pretty fast, I could've sworn their backs were not black, but rather green'ish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, got a question for you: Do salmon ever "flash" on their sides (for lack of a better word)? I could see a douzen or so fish yesterday evening, and I wasn't sure what they were. They seemed to be a foot to two feet long and shaped like salmon. Many of them would kind of tilt to their side for a split second and it would make a kind of "flash" in the water. A few of them even jumped clear out of the water, and though it was pretty fast, I could've sworn their backs were not black, but rather green'ish.
Yes, salmon often 'flash' as they move about. In particular if you have a few salmon lying in the same pool and one of them moves a bit, you'll see the others flash as they readjust to their spots. And salmon can have a variety of colours depending on the fish, and the light. I often see a purple hue when they jump.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
greenbutt has it right. you often see the flash when you "move" a salmon. the "coloring up" is supposed to be part of the mating/spawning process.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Most species of fish will flash for various reasons the main one is to stop an irritation. For salmon, sea lice on the skin of the fish will cause multiple flashes for sure. I will echo the previous comment.. where did you see them flash.. we should investigate so we can make an educated decision about this.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most species of fish will flash for various reasons the main one is to stop an irritation. For salmon, sea lice on the skin of the fish will cause multiple flashes for sure. I will echo the previous comment.. where did you see them flash.. we should investigate so we can make an educated decision about this.
Well lads, you can't fish for them there anyways since it's a SJR trib. But it's encouraging to know that the salmon are making a comeback there! I had never seen them there before.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well lads, you can't fish for them there anyways since it's a SJR trib. But it's encouraging to know that the salmon are making a comeback there! I had never seen them there before.
Which Trib? We are all interested in knowing where they were making a comeback.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which Trib? We are all interested in knowing where they were making a comeback.
Please don't answer that Flyakfisher..... less people that know the better IMO. Forums are great, but they certainly have their downside as well. Where ever it is - that is great news, but keep it to yourself or at least among your friends, certainly not on a public forum. My 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Please don't answer that Flyakfisher..... less people that know the better IMO. Forums are great, but they certainly have their downside as well. Where ever it is - that is great news, but keep it to yourself or at least among your friends, certainly not on a public forum. My 2 cents anyway.
Probably some of those escapees; http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lmon-found.html
But as for letting people know, I hardly think anyone's going to risk thousands of dollars in fines and their name in the paper, not to mention losing their fishing privileges for five years to fish a closed system that they already know has salmon anyway.

·
2,366 Posts
Probably some of those escapees; http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lmon-found.html
But as for letting people know, I hardly think anyone's going to risk thousands of dollars in fines and their name in the paper, not to mention losing their fishing privileges for five years to fish a closed system that they already know has salmon anyway.
I don't know about that, man. I've came accross dudes that do exactly that. We've even came accross the odd gill net strewn accross a river set up by white guys. I've seen guys trying to jig them off a bridge on this same river two years ago. Not saying any of you guys posting on here are like that, I'm just saying for every guy posting on here with good intentions, there could be another one just creeping this site for information to do bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you mind sending me a PM about which trib? I live on the SJR and belong to a local environmental group, and have particpated in ASF's Fish Friends program thus have interest in salmon and any good news about their numbers in our rivers is welcome. No intention of poaching or trying to fish that trib, just would like to know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts