New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing in the Saint John river yesterday, between the Westmorland and Princess Margaret on the southside, fishing from the shore not expecting much. I was fishing with lures hoping to hook into a Bass or Pickerel and I hooked into a larger fish. I saw a flash of silver and then it was gone. I didn't get a good look and thought it may be sea run trout or something??? I went back today and low and behold I caught a salmon, took a couple pics with the cell phone and released it.

Now I am new to fishing in New Brunswick and this was very unexpected. Is this unusual?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have heard that there is a November run of salmon on the St. John. Apparently they used to collect quite a few at the dam.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Miramichi is not the only river to have Black Salmon. It's certainly deep enough to keep them here during the winter months...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day, That was probably a very late fall run fish. I don't think that it would have been a spent fish already heading back to sea, although there are a number of salmon that do just before and during freeze-up. Perhaps one of the biologists might shed some light on this.The St.John river used to have a "black" Salmon fishery years ago, I remember catching a few with my father in April back in the 60's.

How many more days before Salmon fishing starts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts