New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to tie up a bunch of salmon patterns for when I go salmon fishing in june and july and have some questions about certain flies.

1. One of the flies is a white and red marabou muddler. Would that be white with a red tail or what?
2. For bombers should I use salmon hooks? What would you use?
3. What sizes should my blue charms, undertakers, cossebooms, ect be?
4 What size should my bombers and green machines be?
5. How should I tie my small brown bugs? White tail, flash tail?

Thanks, Any info is great. Sorry for so many questions but I'm new to salmon fishing and want to have a good time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
NUmber 6 hook is pretty much all I ever use , for green machines, cossebooms or bugs in variation of long an short . I find green and double butt works better in early summer and red in the late summer to fall. Usually tie my bombers on number 4 's . flash tails works good but i can't say any better then just plain or white tail as I see just as many hooked on either . I mainly fish cosseboom's solely . 8lb leader in high water 6lb in low water . hope this helps keep your line tight!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i recommend blue charms that you tie many different sizes. Ive had luck on a number 12 blue charm and ive had luck on a number 6 blue charm. Ive never became a fan of flash as ive had no luck with flash. The thing about salmon fishing is a fly is only as good as it is in your past experiences. If you hook a fish on a blue charm then your a fan of blue charm, but a person thats never hooked a fish on a blue charm is unlikely to turn to blue charm before other flies.
My advice on tying is tying the same pattern on a number of different size hooks, and after throwing bigger out first and you have no luck, go down a couple of sizes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tie buck bugs from sizes 4 to 10. Green machines on mostly 4-8, as I fesh them earlier in the summer. black/brown bugs mostly from 6-10, these are fished later in the summer while water levels drop and become warmer.

I tie bombers on eye down streamer hooks (usualy 4X long) on sizes 2-8. I only tie a few in size 2, I find them to be good Locators.
The size 2 seems to provoke a lot of fish, but very seldom get hooked-up. I then tie on a 4 or 6, wait a minute or two, then...... WHAMO! If they're slapping at your fly and don't want to take, try a smaller size.

Wet flies I tie from 4 to 12, even the odd no#2 for fall patterns and very high water.

As for flash/white tails - I tie both styles, fish both styles, catch fish on both styles. I prefer flash early season, sometimes tying with both on the same fly.

I like to have many different styles, on many different sizes, this allows me to be prepared for any situation.
Water temps and light conditions help me decide the style/color, while water levels help me decide what size.

Everyone, feel free to add to this, or, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps you a little,

M

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mmore, do you fish with Maribous like the Purple Grape, etc...? I'm wondering when is prime time for Maribous. My father hooked and lost a big salmon in the fall on a Maribou.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Captain, I would have replied earlier, but spent the entire weekend on Salmon River.

I personaly, have never had a lot of luck fishing maribou patterns for brights. A few friends of mine SWEAR by them, fishing them throught blacksalmon season until closing in October. The purple and pink patterns seem to work very well when the water begins to cool heading into fall. They all seem to think that the action of the maribou in the water triggers more fish than the colors used.

My opinion, fish them for the first and last month of the season, should produce some action. If nothing else..... chub love maribous!

Hope this helps,
M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts