New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'am very new to fishing salmon and was just wondering when they started there run up the river to spawn? thanks guys
Dale

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi, i'am very new to fishing salmon and was just wondering when they started there run up the river to spawn? thanks guys
Dale
Hi Dale depending on where you fish. Salmon can be fished for usually from mid June till Oct. There is normally 2 runs, the early run and the fall run the fall run usually produces the bigger salmon, as the salmon reach the rivers they are bright silver the longer they stay in the river system they will darken that will give you an idea of how long that fish was in fresh water. Hope this helps and good luck

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
there is also the short black salmon season as the fish that over wintered in the river run back out to sea. starts april 15 in most area's open to salmon. most are barbless.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Zamboni, as a new salmon fisherman I'd say your best bet would be to try the black salmon fishery as your chances of actually catching one is alot higher. As Ipop mentioned just be sure to fish barbless as that is the law for the spring fishery. You could try Quarryville or at the park in Blackville and watch where other fishermen are. Most will be in boats and if you have a dependable boat with a 9.9hp or better and a really heavey anchor that would offer the best mobility. However over the years I've saw lots of spring fish hooked from shore. The only thing about wading from shore in the spring is to be very wary as you never know when a big pan of ice could come down river and knock you over. I haver also had whole trees come down river at me when I was in my boat as long as you watching you can usually move out of the way.

Bill G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts