New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:

I'm a short four weeks or so from heading out east from the armpit of the world known as Niagara Falls. I must say that I have never looked forward to a trip as much as this one... my first trip to the maritimes. We're departing June 28th (maybe as early as the 26th after the Grand River Spey Clave)for 5 days in Nova Scotia (Halifax) and then 7 days in New Brunswick (Saint John).

What type of fishing is available around Saint John this time of the year in particular on the fly rod? I would love to get my hands on a striper with the fly rod. Are there many fly fishing opps around Saint John? We're thinking of a night in Fundy National as well and I have a sneaky suspicion that Brookies might be available in there. I will be driving to a few places to see what I might be able to catch. I will be dragging along fly rods of the 4,6 and 8 wt range and likely my 8/9 Spey rod as well. I've been using it here in Niagara on the flats and the thing is great. Maybe use it from the beach somewhere out there.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Alex

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
-Will you be fishing from shore, or do you have a canoe/kayak?
-By "Saint John", do you mean the river or the city?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-Will you be fishing from shore, or do you have a canoe/kayak?
-By "Saint John", do you mean the river or the city?
Sorry for not clarifying. We're staying in Saint John and I will be fishing from shore/wading.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Right now in Saint John, I'm hearing reports that they're catching stripers. There are a couple places that I know of where you can fish for them: one is right at Reversing Falls. There's a look-out where you can watch the falls. You will notice a trail leading down to shore. You can fish there, but watch the tide!!! There's also at the Reversing Falls Restaurant. Around back there's a walking trail. Follow it toward the right, and it leads you to a floating dock. You can fish off that dock.
Tight lines!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes there are some stripers being caught at the falls and main street , Where are you staying in Saint John , You may pretty close to the falls. Directions to are very easy around here and the local fishermen are extremly approachable and knowlegable ! Dont hesitate to stop by uif you see someone wetting a line.. Your best bet will be late at night or early morning depending on tide conditions .. If you are down att he shore line by the falls be very carefull the tide comes quick and packs a punch down there !! Cheers A2F

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Darth...
Just a heads up about Fundy Park. I was there May 24 weekend and the only place within the park that fishing was permitted is on Bennett Lake. No rivers, no brooks. But the Shepody River system is fairly close by which I hear has rainbow trout, and the Catch N Release part of the Kennebacasis is pretty close too, but if you're a Non-Resident, I think you might need a guide starting June 15th. Shepody is just east of Fundy Park and I hear it's good, but I've never been.
Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the help.

To answer a few questions. While in Saint John we're staying at the Hampton. So I'm not too sure how close it is to the Falls. I think it's on Fashion Drive???? But, that could be wrong as I'm in a bit of a fog at the moment. Thanks for the warning on the tides down there btw (A2F). I have a feeling that the two-hander will be getting used down there.

Regarding Fundy National. Thanks Skip for the information. Wow... a park like that with no fishing in streams or brooks. I imagine it's for a good reason. I've slowly started going through the online version of the fishing regs there and I must say your layout is way better than ours. Thanks for the heads up on the guide info. Have I read wrong or did it say that in some sections of the Miramichi no guide is needed? LOL.. the first thing that I'm doing when I cross into NB from Quebec is getting a hard copy of the regs.

Thanks again gang for the help. Oh.. are there any fly shops in Saint John?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
28 Posts
In Saint John, the only Fly shop that I know of right now is called Doiron's Sports Excellence. It's on Greenhead road on the west side of the city.
Hampton would probably be a 25 to 30 minute drive to the falls, I think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Saint John, the only Fly shop that I know of right now is called Doiron's Sports Excellence. It's on Greenhead road on the west side of the city.
Hampton would probably be a 25 to 30 minute drive to the falls, I think.
Skip:

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look them up once I'm checked in... okay maybe a power nap will be in order. LOL... I feel like a kid at Christmas. 25 minutes to the Falls... sounds like a great place to stay.

Alex

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you meant you were staying in the Hampton Inn its only 5-10 minutes from the falls. I think skip's estimate of 30 minutes was from the town of Hampton. Just give this forum a post when your down here, there are alot of members who would probably go out with you and show you the ropes at the falls.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you meant you were staying in the Hampton Inn its only 5-10 minutes from the falls. I think skip's estimate of 30 minutes was from the town of Hampton. Just give this forum a post when your down here, there are alot of members who would probably go out with you and show you the ropes at the falls.
nbborn, yes, I was definitely thinking the town of hampton.
I've never targeted Strippers, but I'll keep my eye on the forum posts and maybe pop down for a pointer or two myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts