New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am knew to NB just moved from Ontario and was wondering what would be the ideal fly rod weight for both salmon and sea trout?I see you have some BIG WIDE rivers here!

·
Registered
105 Posts
For trout I use a 5 wt rod and for salmon I use a 9wt rod. If you want 1 rod for both I would suggest at least a 7 wt. Much lighter the wind would be troublesome. Also hooking a salmon on light tackle makes for long play times and the stress to the fish make it difficult to revive them for release.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pretty tough to get down to one fly rod that covers both salmon and trout. Probably the most responsible choice would be to get a "salmon" rod (8-ish weight IMO) and use it to also fish for trout. My advice is buy an 8 and then save up to get a 4 or 5 wt to use for trout. You can get by for a season or 12 while using an 8 for trout, but a light rod on a salmon river is a recipe for tragedy.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I do what Twinfan suggests: I use an 8 wt for salmon, and use it for trout as well in some rivers that require longer casts. Otherwise I use my 5wt for trout.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Should be some good deals at the Dieppe Fly Fishing Forum March 23 - 25. I know Don Galagher will have a bunch of fly gear there, I was looking at some of his stuff that just came in tonight at his shop. He has 2 weight to 9 weight, 2 pc and 4 pc, lots to choose from.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Ya. Last year that's where I bought my TFO for like $200. I like it better than my $1000 G Loomis!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks guys I already have a #5 I used in ontario,guess I will be now shopping for an #8
if you already have a 5wt for trout, then I'd suggest a 9 wt for salmon.. it will allow you to get the fish in a little faster, less stress on them.. now this isn't always the case however anything to ensure a good live release is never a bad thing and if you get into a big salmon, you'll need all of that 9 wt! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts