New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Rod Repair/parts/material

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Monty 
#1 ·
As i reequip/reorganize and prepare for the next outing...........

I have just come across again my interest in repairing a couple of rods from back in the day.I know some can relate to "out with the old and in with the new" but also hoping for knowledge and the understanding of having something meaningful, even if its not in use.One rod i have which is old and mostly reminds me of back in the day when being a kid and learning the outside world taking every bit of enjoyment in just being there. So as it sits aside and is unusable i often wondered why i don't repair it? I have come to see that this is not an easy task to get done or better yet get done properly. Over the years i have brought this subject up verbally with many meetings but the answer usually end up with "i don't know" I was close with some knowledge once learning that their is such a fine fiberglass sheet type that is used and naturally some kind of resin to make finish. Also heard of a gent that used to repair rods in the NB area that was good at it but no longer. I myself wonder even in the technique as i would even do the task myself but only when knowing 100% how and comparative options.

The other rod.....food for thought, is so different as i purchased it in Spain and when mailing it home as the airport would not let me bring it on the plane.They somehow broke a section and it as well is unusable. Being that the rod is 18Ft i was also hoping to change up on the guides?

All and all,use or put on the wall i sit and throw out there a topic that i feel should be rectified.

Maybe someday i could be that guy,anyone can come to for such a task?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
as far as getting rods repaired, I'd check with any of the local fly shops.. they'd probably be best to guide you to someone who can repair them.

also, next weekend, march 23 to 25, the fly fishing forum is at the moncton coliseum.. i have seen exhibotors there that repair fly rods.. there was one older guy that liked fixing bamboo rods.. not sure where you're located, but I think these are your 2 best options unless someone from the board posts up that they can fix them for you or share some knowledge so that you can repair them.

#9 ·
Since you didn't exactly specify what needed to be fixed it's kind of hard to give you specific details. Do you need to replace or rewrap guides? Is your rod shaft broken? Is the handle shot or the reel seat need to be replaced? Most of these repairs can be done by the rod owner quite easily.

I suggest Googling a specific question on a search engine. For example: " Replace broken guide on fishing rod" This should give you some specific information, likely with some UTube hits so you can see how it's done.

You can try your local Library. They may have a book by Boyd Pfeifer or Dale Clemens on fihing tackle, rod repair or rod building. This should give you some opportunity to borrow a book and learn about this and figure out how it applies to your needs. I know the Moncton Library has both of these authors. and they should be available from Provincial inter- library sevices.

If you need parts, search the internet..

The secrets are out there waiting to be discovered.

#10 ·
very nice Morfrost.....i will be looking into this! My tip has since broke off so it needs to be replaced. Figured i would just replace with a tip guide seeing its only 2" down. My main brake is in a middle section of my extended rod shaft (7 Meters) which has 6 pull outs. On top of fixing the section i wished to redo all the guides and re-wrap with a stronger guide. The pole came from Europe and is quite different from anything around here. I tried finding the manufacture but came up with nothing? Just thought with the work i wish to put into the rod to make finished........might as well do it up right and help or work on others to make it a possible fix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.