New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever use this knot on the Miramichi and it's tributaries? wondering if it's worth a try? i've seen them use it on the tv shows but they were mostly in NL so not sure if it is just a local thing they do or does it work here too?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My brother and I used to use it in July/August when the fishing was slow on both the Nashwaak and Miramichi rivers. We learned it from our guide when we went to an outfitter in Labrador in '87 and '89. It creates turbulence around the fly that seems to attract fish.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally,I don't like the riffling hitch.I've used it by accident on many NB rivers when I get wind knots that end up around the head of the fly.
Although the line isn't coming away from the fly at 45 degrees,it still slices across the top of the water. As a matter of fact, that's probably how the
technique was first invented. I've never hooked anything or rolled any salmon on it and I immediatly reel in and get rid of that cursed knot!

·
Registered
105 Posts
In the '90s we hooked a lot of fish in late July and August using the hitch. You do have to take care which side of the fly that the leader is coming from depending on which side of the river that you are fishing from. I no longer fish the dog days of August so I don't use it very often now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When fishing home (NL) I would always fish with a hitch. But I've never tried it in NB. I also have dozen very successful flies in NL that I've never tried here. And I've never tried a Green Machine in NL!

Gonna have to start mixing things up a bit!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i see i see

ya GreenButt, you're gonna have to mix it up and let us know your results!

little story about the Lt Special... yes.. yesss it's a great fly and I used it pretty much all season.. hooked/landed lots of fish.. but that's a story pretty much told a thousand times by me on this site this past season! lol however that is not the story but a prelude to a crown reserve trip story... we went to Three Sisters on the Restigouche 3 years ago and got a guide to take us there and show us the good pools and how they fish up there, big fast flowing river... first thing we learned is that generally fisherman don't wade the Restigouche with waders and second, the Lt Special works great on that river... our guide (retired school principal from Kedgwick) had never seen the Lt Special before, nor did he have a fly that even resembled it.... one of my fishin buddies gave him a Lt Special so that he could get some tied up.. perhaps he shared our golden fly secret... perhaps he kept it to himself.. but he was glad we mixed it up and used that fly! one more fly to keep in the flybox!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I' had heard of it but never knew what it was till now; thanks for posting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts