New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Do you know where the Pettingill Road is in Quispamsis? It starts at the intersection by the Royal Bank, A&W, McDonalds? Drive up that road until you get to railroad tracks. At the tracks, look to the right, and that's Ritchie Lake. It's actually the lake responsible for the name "Quispamsis", which is Maliseet for "Little lake in the woods". As for how deep it is, I have no idea, but it doesn't seem like it would be much deeper then ten or fifteen feet. I've never fished it, but I hear there are pickerel in there.

Check out this thread from last year: http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php?/topic/420-richie-lakequispamsis/

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think he meant where the deep part was... Someone once told me that it was 29 feet deep but I can't confirm that, nor do I know where the deep part is...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not sure how deep it is but I know it isn't very deep. I fish it a lot for pickerel, some real nice ones in there and lots of places to get them. What do you want the deepest part for?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, the deepest part of the lake is roughly thirty feet and is smack dab in the middle pretty much. The bottom is covered in slime. I think if the lake was healthy, they would have a place for trout to hide from the pickerel.

I spent more hours fishing that lake when I was growing up than anyone and had seen trout that were lucky to make it alive out into the brook and have seen trout swimming into the lake, but never caught one in the lake or seen one swimming around. There were never perch in the lake before and I think it has dampened the fishing. It would be nothing to get 20-30 pickerel in an evening before. There were also some massive eels in the lake around 3-4 feet long and as round as an oar. Every once and awhile one would swim by the boat or you'd see a dead one. I even had one nipping the end of the oar on my inflatable boat. I would get the freshwater mussels and use them for eel bait... I never landed any of the monsters, but got lots of average sized eels and a few pickerel on mussels. Sunfish had their good years and bad. Sometimes they'd only be at the far end of the lake or everywhere. I only started seeing any amount of catfish maybe 14 years ago. There are a few chub in the lake and suckers as well.

It is something to see the gaspereau spawn, they will do laps around the lake on the surface for an evening or two. Surprisingly, they are tougher to fool in the lake than they are in Hammond River... probably too much food in the lake

There are pickerel in there over 30" that I had seen hit almost full grown ducklings and I quite often used 7" pencil poppers for them. My best day ever there was 7 over 24" from shore on the pencil popper and super spook. That was a week or two after the mature gaspereau left the lake and the big pickerel were still holding near the cove of the outlet. Every lake with pickerel and a run of gaspereau will be the same way. I've lost at least 3-4 real monsters over the years, maybe even records. That one I saw hit the duck was one of them. I ran home, got my surf rod, ran back, waded out set the drag tight as could be knowing he'd run back into the weeds. So, I get him to come out from under 30 feet of lily pads to hit my 7" pencil popper, then he turned to go back in the weeds and he pulled the rod straight towards him and tore the lure out in the weeds. I literally could not hold him back with a 10' surf rod. The initial run or two of a pickerel is quite powerful and fast obviously.

Another Ritchie lake story... My friend broke the line on the rod tip with a fish on. So after awhile we see the lure on the surface, 60-80 feet from shore and wade out to get it. The line was floating on the water and my friend started pulling it in and once he got it close to him the water ERUPTED! He gets scared and swims back to shore, I pull the lure in and there is an 18" pickerel still on it with bite marks in the middle of him and they were wide! So, we tried for two hours and finally got her out with Spit'n Image right on the end of the cast after one twitch. I was using 8lb test and no leader, so needless to say, she ran back to her big weed patch and that was that.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes, the deepest part of the lake is roughly thirty feet and is smack dab in the middle pretty much. The bottom is covered in slime. I think if the lake was healthy, they would have a place for trout to hide from the pickerel.

I spent more hours fishing that lake when I was growing up than anyone and had seen trout that were lucky to make it alive out into the brook and have seen trout swimming into the lake, but never caught one in the lake or seen one swimming around. There were never perch in the lake before and I think it has dampened the fishing. It would be nothing to get 20-30 pickerel in an evening before. There were also some massive eels in the lake around 3-4 feet long and as round as an oar. Every once and awhile one would swim by the boat or you'd see a dead one. I even had one nipping the end of the oar on my inflatable boat. I would get the freshwater mussels and use them for eel bait... I never landed any of the monsters, but got lots of average sized eels and a few pickerel on mussels. Sunfish had their good years and bad. Sometimes they'd only be at the far end of the lake or everywhere. I only started seeing any amount of catfish maybe 14 years ago. There are a few chub in the lake and suckers as well.

It is something to see the gaspereau spawn, they will do laps around the lake on the surface for an evening or two. Surprisingly, they are tougher to fool in the lake than they are in Hammond River... probably too much food in the lake

There are pickerel in there over 30" that I had seen hit almost full grown ducklings and I quite often used 7" pencil poppers for them. My best day ever there was 7 over 24" from shore on the pencil popper and super spook. That was a week or two after the mature gaspereau left the lake and the big pickerel were still holding near the cove of the outlet. Every lake with pickerel and a run of gaspereau will be the same way. I've lost at least 3-4 real monsters over the years, maybe even records. That one I saw hit the duck was one of them. I ran home, got my surf rod, ran back, waded out set the drag tight as could be knowing he'd run back into the weeds. So, I get him to come out from under 30 feet of lily pads to hit my 7" pencil popper, then he turned to go back in the weeds and he pulled the rod straight towards him and tore the lure out in the weeds. I literally could not hold him back with a 10' surf rod. The initial run or two of a pickerel is quite powerful and fast obviously.

Another Ritchie lake story... My friend broke the line on the rod tip with a fish on. So after awhile we see the lure on the surface, 60-80 feet from shore and wade out to get it. The line was floating on the water and my friend started pulling it in and once he got it close to him the water ERUPTED! He gets scared and swims back to shore, I pull the lure in and there is an 18" pickerel still on it with bite marks in the middle of him and they were wide! So, we tried for two hours and finally got her out with Spit'n Image right on the end of the cast after one twitch. I was using 8lb test and no leader, so needless to say, she ran back to her big weed patch and that was that.
Bigfish;

The cove you are talking about, is that the one opposite the beach or the cove way down the far end?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts