New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Anywhere along the shore from the beach down the walking trail should be good, you can cast right into the weeds from there. Also from the beach, go out anto the rocks on the left and you can also reach the weedbeds from there. There is also a path from the train tracks that leads to the back of the lake.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Anywhere along the shore from the beach down the walking trail should be good, you can cast right into the weeds from there. Also from the beach, go out anto the rocks on the left and you can also reach the weedbeds from there. There is also a path from the train tracks that leads to the back of the lake.
Any size to the pickerel in there?Any other species in the lake?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not to brag, but I've caught more pickerel out of Ritchie lake than everyone else combined over the years... and I haven't fished it much in the last 3-4 years. I lived nearby since I was a kid and fished it everyday, sometimes twice. I have caught many pickerel over 24", but I have never landed anything over 27/28", although I know I have lost some records in there. I often used my striper rod with big pencil poppers and zara spooks so I could cast as far out as possible. Even with a 10' rod and 20lb mono, I couldn't control some of the monsters I hooked. The fishing is very best when majority of gaspereau just leave the lake. You have a few days period when the pickerel are still keen on large meals of gaspereau and don't bother much with smaller morsels. You can find the biggies near the mouth of the stream, waiting for the last of the gaspereau. I've gotten as many as 7 over 24" in one evening, but that is once in a lifetime sort of thing.

You have to be able to cast further than the average joe to get into any amount of pickerel from shore. The same fish will often stay in the same weed patches most of the season. I often would wade out as far as I could following the patches of rocks that were like pathways between the lily pad bunches. The bigger fish are rarely in less than 6 feet of water. Usually they can be found in lily pads that have a natural weir/corral shape to them. Other large pickerel can be found in cabbage in 8-12 feet of water, but there are always exceptions. Flyfishing with a deceiver, floating mylar minnow, dahlberg divers, or marabou flies are very effective as the fly line itself will attract pickerel.

As of late, someone put perch in the lake, which has not been good for the pickerel as there had almost no competition before. The only species in the lake are pickerel, perch, eels, suckers, chub, sunfish, catfish, gaspereau mainly. There were some absolutely scary large eels in the lake. I can remember being out in an 8' inflatable raft and having them nip the bottom of my boat and bite the tips of the paddles.

After the amount of time I spent on the water I should have caught a trout or seen one in the lake, but never did. There are trout in all the brooks and there were tons of salmon parr in salmon creek, but I doubt there are now. Ritchie lake has been ruined by developement, due to eutrophication. There is too much runoff coming into the lake cause too much weed growth. Eventually the lake could become so devoid of oxygen that it no longer supports fish. Development and diverting runoff into the lake was warned against years ago by council, yet it has obviously be totally ignored.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After the amount of time I spent on the water I should have caught a trout or seen one in the lake, but never did. There are trout in all the brooks and there were tons of salmon parr in salmon creek, but I doubt there are now. Ritchie lake has been ruined by developement, due to eutrophication. There is too much runoff coming into the lake cause too much weed growth. Eventually the lake could become so devoid of oxygen that it no longer supports fish. Development and diverting runoff into the lake was warned against years ago by council, yet it has obviously be totally ignored.
Is the creek that crosses Petingill rd at the tracks called Salmon creek?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts