New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Province has published draft amendments to the Crown Reseve regulations for public comment at http://www2.gnb.ca/c.../10/10-179E.pdf The deadline for responding is November 28th.

Of special note is the fact that they are proposing to charge a fee for all applications of $7.00 per party member for the regular draws, mini draws, daily crown reserve and live release draws.

The press release from last year indicated that there had been 2,041 applications received for the regular crown reserve draw. Assuming that all of these were from four person parties (I know that there are some two person stretches, but lets ignore this for the purposes of calculation) this would produce approximately $57,000 in revenue. Not sure how many of the other draws there would be, but probably wouldn't generate more than another $7,500 in revenue. So this initiative will likely produce about $65,000 in total revenue - assuming that the same number of applications is received. Maybe it will reduce the number of applicants and increase the chances of success for those who do apply.

I wonder how much it will cost the government to administer this?

I wonder whether it will reduce the number of applications?

I wonder if it will change how people choose the dates they apply for?

Any thoughts or comments???

·
Registered
250 Posts
They would have to raise the cost an awful lot to discourage me from applying; I love those Crown trips! I haven't read the article yet but I will; thanks for posting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You folks in NB have a great system and, as an outsider, I agree with Wannafish the minimal cost increase should not discourage those who wish to take advantage of a trip of a lifetime on pristine waters.

BTW Guide 1 licenses increased by 150% this coming year as well I got my renewal in the mail yesterday and it went from $10 to $25

·
Registered
298 Posts
LFS, yes NB has a great system, not for families ! I have a family of 4 that are into and looking forward to another crown water trip. My issue is as a family we have to pay to apply $28.00. To get picked great then it's $420.00 to go, that doesn't include gas, food or anything that you have to have for the 2 1/2 days of fishing. let alone going on the date you got drawn for and prey the weather is going to be good. Don't get me wrong ! I like the apply fee but it's more greared towards groups of anglers not families. It looks like I will be apart of a group and the family will go to open waters and experience the true nature of the beast. I hope my 13 year old doesn't get discouraged.

·
Registered
250 Posts
LFS, yes NB has a great system, not for families ! I have a family of 4 that are into and looking forward to another crown water trip. My issue is as a family we have to pay to apply $28.00. To get picked great then it's $420.00 to go, that doesn't include gas, food or anything that you have to have for the 2 1/2 days of fishing. let alone going on the date you got drawn for and prey the weather is going to be good. Don't get me wrong ! I like the apply fee but it's more greared towards groups of anglers not families. It looks like I will be apart of a group and the family will go to open waters and experience the true nature of the beast. I hope my 13 year old doesn't get discouraged.
I hear ya Zamboni! I have 1/2 your problem as I pay for me and my son because being a University student he couldn't go otherwise. A family rate would be a welcome addition to the regs for sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The old saying " its hard to please everybody" applies here!! Yes there it would be nice for you folks to have a family discount thing there but then again everyone who applies as "groups" would complain then. Better than the very few rivers we have left here in NS to salmon fish that are all fall rivers and depending on water you might get 2 weeks of fishable water in a year....if your lucky

·
Registered
113 Posts
I certainly don't mind the imposition of an entry fee to apply for Crown Reserve. Everything costs more these days, even government employees who muust administer this system. I think it will lower the # of entrants and may reduce the # of phantom parties applying. What I don't like is ths idea of paying for each draw, assumng you use the mini draws. I would rather pay a little more, like $ 10.00 a head, get a receipt number from the DNR, then be good to go for any subsequent chances on the mini draw. Also, what about trying to get a stretch within 48 hours of the start date if the stretch has not been picked up? Will you still have to pay the entrance fee, since there won't be a draw, and this stretch now becomes available on a first come, first served basis? If you tried unsuccessfuly 4 or 5 times on the draw, including Mini draws, you've just donated & 28.-$35. to the gov't, and what do you have to show for it. The same $ 28. + would more than pay for half the gas needed to do a trip to the Miramichi from my house in Moncton.

Despite what the government is saying about not creating a new revenue profit stream, Jake NB's point about this proposal raising $ 50K +, will certainly pay for one staff person for a year. I doubt there is more than one man year of work involved in administering the entire CR draw system. Assuming the admin fee breaks even with admin cost,this will lower the expenses charged against the revenue gained from stretch rentals and increase profit margins on that revenue stream. Looks l;ike the government got their magic kit from Santa a little early this year, because there's a lot of smoke and mirrors around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have no problem for the fee on the Regular Crown draw, but am strictly opposed to it for any of the daily/live release draws. Just a big money grab by the province.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crown Reserve draw is now open - but don't forget your credit card to cover the application fee of $7.91 per person.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts