New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i just bought a reddington rs4 4 piece 7/8 weight.... what do you think about them? any feed back would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey all, i just bought a reddington rs4 4 piece 7/8 weight.... what do you think about them? any feed back would be greatly appreciated
I have myself a 9wt. for salmon fishing only bought it from Bryrant at Eskape Anglers I have no issues at all with it. Byrant said if you want a rod that is gonna last do your reg. maintenance to it.

1. if you bought the combo set make sure you put a little lube in the reel .. and slack the drag way off before storage.
2.always clean the rod before storing it for any lenght of time especailly the furrels. when it's time to bring back in use rub a little wax "I use hockey stick wax" or parrifin on the furrels.

Those 2 things should be done with any set up as well as other things such as line cleaning or replacing and make a habbit of using your case to get to the river it's compact enough. I personally put the case reel end down in my back pouch of my vest and zip to lock it in the 4 pc. is no different then having a small trout net in that pouch

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm a big fan of Redington gear. I want an RS4 myself. I bought a starter Crosswater Rod for my son and am very impressed with the quality. From all the research I've done on the RS4 rods I'd say you'll be happy with it; especially if you like fast rods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 9W 9' bought from bryant and I am very happy with it. It is the first thing I ever bought from reddington, but because of how good a rod it was I went back to Bryant and bought a reddington reel to go with it which so far seems to work great. The warranty was excellent as well, I broke the tip at Charlies Rock last year and they replaced it no questions asked and I had it back within 10 days of shipping it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 9W 9' bought from bryant and I am very happy with it. It is the first thing I ever bought from reddington, but because of how good a rod it was I went back to Bryant and bought a reddington reel to go with it which so far seems to work great. The warranty was excellent as well, I broke the tip at Charlies Rock last year and they replaced it no questions asked and I had it back within 10 days of shipping it.
i too bought it from bryant

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Redington: 2 rods, 1 reel, waders, clothing, etc... They, along with St. Croix & Temple Forks, get the idea a high quality piece of fly fishing equipment doesn't have to cost the equivalent of a couple months' rent. My friend has an RS4, I enjoyed the action on it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Like ZG, I bought a 9wt RS4 from Bryant Freeman.. used it most of this past season... took me a little getting use to it as far as hooking the fish properly as compared to my old 7wt... love the rod, works great!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I missed a deal on ebay last week; A 10' 8wt RS4 went for $83.00! My high bid was $82.00.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Like ZG, I bought a 9wt RS4 from Bryant Freeman.. used it most of this past season... took me a little getting use to it as far as hooking the fish properly as compared to my old 7wt... love the rod, works great!
I read one review that said the guides were mis-aligned on his RS4. Any defects noticeable on yours?These rods are being sold off now to make room for some new models so I might pick one up for my son for Christmas.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I read one review that said the guides were mis-aligned on his RS4. Any defects noticeable on yours?These rods are being sold off now to make room for some new models so I might pick one up for my son for Christmas.
i didn't notice anything wrong with the guides or their misalignment, it being a 4 piece rod i just line them up by eye, dont use the guide marks but i think they are close.. a buddy of mine here at work also bought a rs4 8wt from bryant, he likes it too, other than breaking the tip on our first trip to squireleee falls this year, he hasn't ordered the new end yet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
did you deal through bryant or directly with reddington? what did it cost you for shipping etc?

·
Registered
298 Posts
each year reddington comes out with a new line of rod. cross water, redfly2 , rs series .. the warranty sucks if you register your rod. don't register your rod and just ship it too them with the warrenty paper filled out. Don't forget to send the $30.00 check or money order, or your visa #. here is a link to get that form to send. http://www.redington.com/skin/summit/pdf/Warranty_Service_Form.pdf

·
Registered
576 Posts
each year reddington comes out with a new line of rod. cross water, redfly2 , rs series .. the warranty sucks if you register your rod. don't register your rod and just ship it too them with the warrenty paper filled out. Don't forget to send the $30.00 check or money order, or your visa #. here is a link to get that form to send. http://www.redington...ervice_Form.pdf
thanks, I'll let buddy know.. good thing he broke it on the last day hours before we had to leave...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep, never hurts to have a back-up rod on those trips (also a good excuse to buy another rod
)
Chadman I wanted to ask another RS4 question; I had heard these rods were underlined when using the rated line wt and some guys were using 1/2 wt heavier lines like Rio Grand (Gold?) or going with one full wt heavier; did you do that or do you find the 9wt line works well on your 9wt rod? Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yep, never hurts to have a back-up rod on those trips (also a good excuse to buy another rod
)
Chadman I wanted to ask another RS4 question; I had heard these rods were underlined when using the rated line wt and some guys were using 1/2 wt heavier lines like Rio Grand (Gold?) or going with one full wt heavier; did you do that or do you find the 9wt line works well on your 9wt rod? Thanks
when I went to Bryant's shop, i put my reel with my 9 wt line on the new reddington 9wt rod.. it casted like crap.. Bryant gave it a try and said something wasn't right.. the line I had he felt wasn't heavy enough to load the rod... so we tried his reel that had cortland 444 - WF9F rocket taper (240 grain) .. casted like a dream! night and day.. we both tried and liked how it casted...(i bought a spool from him for my reel) i can't remember what brand of line was on my reel but it was a WF9F DT (that I do remember), wasn't a rocket taper (never used this type of line before). I'm guessing depending on what line you are using, a person might have to go up another wt of line(or heavier grain line). My buddy Aaron bought the 8 wt rod and i believe he bought new line from Bryant but I don't know if he got the rocket taper or not. The guy that got me on the Reddington rod is Zamboni-guy.. he has one too and likes it, but again I can't remember the details of his setup.

I have 2 additional rods as backup for salmon that I bring with me everytime (7wt and 10wt) I go and I have a 3wt and 4wt for trout that when I take them, the other comes too just in case.

·
Registered
250 Posts
when I went to Bryant's shop, i put my reel with my 9 wt line on the new reddington 9wt rod.. it casted like crap.. Bryant gave it a try and said something wasn't right.. the line I had he felt wasn't heavy enough to load the rod... so we tried his reel that had cortland 444 - WF9F rocket taper (240 grain) .. casted like a dream! night and day.. we both tried and liked how it casted...(i bought a spool from him for my reel) i can't remember what brand of line was on my reel but it was a WF9F DT (that I do remember), wasn't a rocket taper (never used this type of line before). I'm guessing depending on what line you are using, a person might have to go up another wt of line(or heavier grain line). My buddy Aaron bought the 8 wt rod and i believe he bought new line from Bryant but I don't know if he got the rocket taper or not. The guy that got me on the Reddington rod is Zamboni-guy.. he has one too and likes it, but again I can't remember the details of his setup.

I have 2 additional rods as backup for salmon that I bring with me everytime (7wt and 10wt) I go and I have a 3wt and 4wt for trout that when I take them, the other comes too just in case.
I have a new Cortland 444 SL "Long Body" WF9F so I'll probably try that. Thanks for the info!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts