New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking to find out if fellow fishermen have had any success for pickerel lately. I have tried most of my favourite spots however with the high water my luck has been spotty. I have been fishing mainly waters close to Fredericton, so far and is been more fishing than catching.

Cheers
Riggs

·
Registered
70 Posts
I caught 1 pickerel so far haha He was around 16"s. Was just using a boogie bait and medium retrieval. Once the weeds start to come in, you can get them by dangling your shoelace over the weed lines pretty much haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Me and a buddy had poor luck this weekend........water seemed browner than usual. He caught 2 average sized (16-18 inch)pickerel in 5 hours of fishing, and I hooked, and lost, 1. Maybe it was karma punising us for fishing most of mothers day........ 2 weekends ago we had a good catch, boating 8 or 10 in 3 hours.

WE caught most of them on spoons and panther martin silver, but he got a couple on those storm wildeye perch swimbaits.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got a 22 incher today on my fly rod, was fishing an outlet into grand lake where ie caught everything from white perch to splake and stripers at, 2nd cast with a 2/0 xmas tree and he nailed it..had my heart pumpin pretty good since it wasnt a real pickerel spot i figured it was somethin else,..still a good catch, he looked to have atleast one gasperaux in his gut, first one this year, hadnt had the time to go out yet but boat is going in the water saturday

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there a different setup for fishing the spring then the fall??
Usually fish for pickeral in the fall gonna go give it a shot on Monday...

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
not much difference between spring and summer for pic`s. so far i have landed them on cranks and spinner and worm, i haven`t been actually targeting them at all. you might try a bit smaller minnow baits than summer time, and i wouldn`t consider the frog baits prime yet. slow it down a bit too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Myself and a few friends were out today on Cassidy Lake. Nothing REAL big hitting. Got a few 16-18" Pickerel, and then I landed a whopping 6" Pickerel LOL

Spinner and worm, Boogie bait, and crank baits today did the trick! Always fun in the summer and fall watching them torpedo towards your lure.

I was reeling in today from a cast, and brought my spinner and worm out of the water, and the damn Pickerel jumped right out of the water at it haha.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they were hitting the frogs Jim? i'm surprised they are going for them this early, but they are pickerel! lol!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
got 10 today, spoons, spinners and plastic jerk baits......5" powerbait shiners, worked magic today for that slower presentation

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes the frogs worked great. There are lots of frogs out in the lakes, when we stopped for lunch, they were all around us on shore and the pics were all hanging around where we beached the boats. Got a few picerel in about 8 inches of water, we figured they were just waiting for the frogs because as soon as we tossed a frog lure in they were all over it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive found a nice little hot spot. Fished it about 5 times and each time caught around 20 on the fly rod each time. Threw them all back. Only one big one, was over 26 inchs the rest where around 15-18. They really like egg sucking leach and pink leech as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went out to my favorite spot this weekend and had great success using spinners, large spoons and rapalas. There were what I believe were perch there in great numbers too, may have been spawning? It was great weather great fishing and great company, just what I needed after a long winter. Man I love fishing!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I caught one out of mid-air on monday. It jumped at a 4 inch crankbait as i was pulling it up for another cast. It got it a few inches out of the water and hooked himself.......First time for everything I guess.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
My buddy and I got 3 pickerel out of the St. Croix on Monday. He landed two around 18" and I got one that was 23". I'm gonna try and put the pic up on the site in a bit. We were mostly after smallies got a couple dozen of those each. He got the biggest at just over 2.5 pounds and 18".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts