New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if there are any spots (rivers or lakes, not actual spots) where you can catch rainbows or browns in nb, I'm from fredericton, but I don't mind driving for an hour or two for trout, any comments will be appreciated. I also understand people catch trout in the saint john river, I also know that they don't come throught there often so please don't suggest it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If your looking for some nice browns head to loch lamonde ..here in NB .. if you wanna fish them In NS I can put you on a spot that ususally starts my season every year .. Apr.1st hooking a 5 lb brown gets you pumped for the rest of the season !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Zam's right the 3 Loch Lomond lakes are good for browns. I caught my first an 18 incher there over 40 years ago. If you want to see some truly hugh browns grab your scuba gear and check out some of the cave like holes on the bottom of the 1st lake.
For rainbows try Crooked Creek in Albert county near/in Fundy Park.There are a few in one creek near Fredericton but the population is too small to take much fishing pressure.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
try the irving trail book. it lists the species available for most of the waters here in nb. rainbows are fairly rare here while browns used to be stocked all over the place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Indeed, the Loch Lomond area is packed full of nice brown trout, here in Saint John.

I have lived on 3rd Lake, Douglas Lake and now Hunter Lake, all three contain Browns.

Here is a list of some lakes, all connect actually, one way or another.

1st Lake (Likely find the largest Browns here, as it's the largest lake, also the deepest. Spots in this lake, reach 100 Ft deep. Fishing from shore, you will need patience. Also contains Landlocked Salmon)

2nd Lake (Large Browns here also.)

3rd Lake (Smallest of the 3 Lakes. Contains brown, but best hitting 1st or 2nd Lake).

Ben Lomond (Connects directly to 1st Lake. I just consider them the same lake, really. Contains browns, specks and Landlocked.)

Hunter Lake (Nice browns here early in the year. Perch pick up in the warmth, not deep enough in most spots to contain them.)

McBrian's Lake (Used to be a part of 1st Lake, years ago. Now seperated, but connect via waterways. Contains some nice, big browns)

Douglas Lake (Hard to catch, but it has some browns and specks. But, Perch are god awful when the warm weather hits)

The Rez -- Little River Reservoir (Little River runs from 1st Lake, all the way down to "The Rez". Contains some nice browns)

Champlain Heights Fire Station -- Little River Reservoir (Again, nice browns. Small area to cover, contains big fish though at times.)

Treadwell Lake (The odd brown, mainly smallmouth bass and some specks/lake trout these days).

Latimer Lake (I don't fish this often. But, I witnessed a guy pull out a 33" brown one morning from shore here, last year early in the season. I've not caught a lot there my self though.)

So there is a list of the spots near me, containing nice brown trout. If you want the biggest browns, I'd suggest 1st Lake. You'll need patience from shore, especially this time of year. When Lake Season first opens, and it's nice and cool out still, you'll catch the nice ones. Opening day, my neighbor caught a nice 29" brown and a 24" landlocked, 10 minutes apart.

This year, on Hunter, I have brought in a 16.5" and 19" brown. Both caught within 5 minutes of each other, on the same day. Since then, only speckeled trout for me. No brown since on Hunter. Did catch a nice 15" on McBrian's though.

Sadly, i've only been fishing a handful of times this year. Maybe, 6-7 if lucky. And, have caught 3 Browns (sizes above), and about 8-10 speckeled trout, none smaller than 9". Been a good year, sadly, not been out enough though.

If you need directions to any of these lakes, feel free to ask. I can give you directions within Saint John, sadly, not from Moncton.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes I have fished the stream from Douglas Lake but still don't know where it connects to First Lake Loch Lomond.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I should clarify.

The brook from Douglas Lake flows in to a small lake directly across Loch Lomond road.

That lake (name unknown to me), has small brooks which flow in to Tread Well lake.

Tread Well lake, has a brook near Cropley Lane, that flows in Robertson Lake.

Robertson Lake, connects directly to Loch Lomond (1st Lake).

I'm unsure of a map will show it all or not, but, it may.

Hope that clarifies it. Note that, some brooks are fairly small. But, they all do connect.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Well, I should clarify.

The brook from Douglas Lake flows in to a small lake directly across Loch Lomond road.

That lake (name unknown to me), has small brooks which flow in to Tread Well lake.

Tread Well lake, has a brook near Cropley Lane, that flows in Robertson Lake.

Robertson Lake, connects directly to Loch Lomond (1st Lake).

I'm unsure of a map will show it all or not, but, it may.

Hope that clarifies it. Note that, some brooks are fairly small. But, they all do connect.
Ok that explains things a lot better, I fish Treadwell a fair bit. Haven't caught any trout in there this year but last year got an 18" and also a 20" both were released, I was actually fishing the smallies in there when I got the trout, one of them on a 4" tube.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fishing for Browns (trout in general) has slowed down now the weather and water is warm. In the bigger lakes the browns and salmon have gone deep to the cold water...getting the odd one around sunset to 2 hours after as they come in closer to shore for minnows etc if you can get by the perch, suckers, catfish and even some pumpkin seed sunfish... But over all..slowed down dramatically. I have been out in a boat with a fish finder and marked some large fish..but not biting on anything we threw at em...everything from nightcrawlers to rapala's ,flies, even some bass tricks...tubes and waddle tails, grubs etc..But that is the Loch Lomond lakes...they can be like that.
I find once the end of August comes and the water starts cooling down it picks up some for the last 3 weeks or so.. Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yes indeed browns are a fish that loves the cool temps. on river phillip in NS you can actually fish them at nite .. I generally fish browns in april. choice of bait is night crawler or egg sacs , had a fellow catch a 3 pounder on corn nibblets wrapped in pantyhose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I usually fish trout (lake trout / browns), during the first month or so of the season. Then, not again until the last few weeks of the season.

As, you have already mentioned, the warm temps just do not produce the fish. It is still possible, of course, but a lot more unlikely that you will snag a fish. If you troll 1st Lake, and can get your bait very far down, 50+ FT, you may be able to produce a few nice browns.

I have done very little fishing this year, sadly. Only a bit of trout fishing, in the lakes. (handful of times.)

I've done no river/brook fishing yet, no bass, etc... Only pickerel once.

I do plan on putting my waders on some time in the next few weeks, grabbing my fly rod + a spinner rod, and walking up and down a few brooks. Catch some brookies.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i tried loch lomand first lake the last days of the season for browns - no luck. water is very low and still warm. land loch season is still open there but i don't think i'll bother, the water is the lowest i have ever seen it there. nice to see the bottom structur though - i had thought one spot was a hump but it was really just one rock.

when i got their i realized i had brought the wrong bag of gear. the one i had with me had a few minnow/stick baits, so i could still fish, and i had worms and spinners besides. the one i should have had with me is on the missing list - i can't find it and it has about $400 in minnow baits!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! i can't afford to replace them, so i guess i'll be back to spinner and worm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello im from fredericton just wondering if there is any spots on
loch lomand lakes easy to get at with a car and fish as i have never been there before

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
hello im from fredericton just wondering if there is any spots on
loch lomand lakes easy to get at with a car and fish as i have never been there before
Here is a link to Google Maps, showing the start of Loch Lomond First Lake. If you park near the start of the lake, there are lots of places you can stand and fish and you can also walk along the left shore and find a pile of places to fish from shore. If you continue out route 820, it follows along the lake and when you get to the far end if you keep left you can get to a beach that a lot of guys fish at.

Loch Lomond First Lake

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thinking about heading to first lake on the opening couple of days. Does the lake have a restriction on motors (4 stroke only?) Also are most people catcjing the trout using downriggers/bottom bouncers or just trolling around the top of the water column?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts