New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does anybody know any decent spots to fish Raindbow trout and when? I know they used to run up the River Phillip, but not sure when they start there or where. Does anybody know when the Sea Run Browns are running up the River Phillip?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My understanding is that they didn't run in River Philip. But rather a fish farm that was alongside the river that had a barrier breakd and the fish made into the river. I have fished there since 1992 and only ever caught one rainbow and that was at the pit pool. Most of the rainbows have been fished out but a guy I know caught a big one last May above the town pool.

The only other river that I know of that has rainbows and in any population is Crooked Creek/West River in Albert County. But you can't fish there until May 15th. You use to be able to fish there on April 15th years ago and guys were fishing the falls and below with egg sacs and doing well. Then they regulated the fishery to only start on May 8th to allow the Rainbows to spawn out in the upper stretches of the river. I have caught a few nice raibows thre using egg sacs when the season opened on May 8th. It was fast white water and rapids. You needed lots of weight to get the egg sac down before the current took it over the rocks.

Then DNR regulated the season so it only opens on May 15th which is now in effect I believe. Most rainbows are done spawning and have left the fast water and headed down river where most guys fish them along the pastures and marsh. Slack slow moving water. Good luck if you give it a try. In my opinion they should open the pasture areas on April 15th and close off the upper stretches until May 15th. Would make more sense since the bows would be up river and dropping back down when done spawning. At least this would give us the chance to fish for spawned out bows before May 15th.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Albert County, wow not very many places anymore, used to be some in the salmon river but not anymore. So they are at the waterfall spawning but are gone by May 15th? How do guys make out down further after that?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the rainbows are still in big salmon river. i don`t think you can get to them, at least not easily, until the park opens for the year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts