New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just started fishing (or casting since I actually haven't caught any fish) can someone explain how to C & R to prevent a fish from later dying? I think you're supposed to keep them in the water to release the fly and then hold them with both hands until the revive and take off (fin and belly). Does it also have something to do with how you bring them in (ie. don't tire them out too much, don't play them out)? I don't know how to reel them anyway so I'm not sure I would know how to compare different methods. I don't plan on keeping any fish this year, if I do get one, so any help is good help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like you have a handle on it already Moose..... basically what you said - when you're fighting a salmon, if he isn't taking line off the reel, then you should be taking line in. Let him go when he wants, but when the run stops, start pumping and reeling him back. Sooner you get the fish in, the better. This is especially important when the water is warm (i.e. in the 70's).
As far as landing/releasing them - basically keep them in the water all the time, or as much as you can, and try to handle them as little as possible. Really the only time they should be out of the water is for a quick pic - make sure the picture-taker is all ready, hold them up quickly, and back in. When the hook is out and pic is taken, get them facing into some current, and hold them upright gently by the tail, and a hand under the belly for support until they start kicking to go. That's it - good luck, hope you get a couple, should be a good fall season this year unless we get blown out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
great response BU, just to add, after the hook is out and you're holding the fish letting it recover in the water facing up stream.. sometimes it can take 5 or 10 minutes before the fish is ready to go.. don't make the mistake of only holding the fish for a minute then letting it go, only to have it go belly up or on it's side floating down the river.. yes the water might be cold but ensuring the fish survives is paramount.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great question Moose. And great answer BU. I'll add one more thing... I always encourage new anglers to fish barbless. Although at times a barb may help keep the fish on the hook, fishing barbless makes it MUCH easier to release a salmon. Because you have never hooked a salmon before, don't underestimate how much jerking around they do when they get close to you. I've seen people make an awful mess trying to get a barbed hook out of a fishes mouth. By fishing barbless, when the salmon is in close, you can simply slide your fingers down the leader until they meet with the hook, then give the hook a little twitch and out it comes. Because it's barbless you don't need to worry about a jerking salmon hooking the fly in you! Also, as a new angler there's less fear of hooking yourself if you fish barbless. I remember taking a rookie fisherman to hopsital years ago with a barbed bomber in the cheek. So that's my two cents. Good luck Moose!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Since I just started fishing (or casting since I actually haven't caught any fish) can someone explain how to C & R to prevent a fish from later dying? I think you're supposed to keep them in the water to release the fly and then hold them with both hands until the revive and take off (fin and belly). Does it also have something to do with how you bring them in (ie. don't tire them out too much, don't play them out)? I don't know how to reel them anyway so I'm not sure I would know how to compare different methods. I don't plan on keeping any fish this year, if I do get one, so any help is good help.
watch wannafishs latest head cam video in the salmon thread it's an actual catch and release done well !!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great question Moose. And great answer BU. I'll add one more thing... I always encourage new anglers to fish barbless. Although at times a barb may help keep the fish on the hook, fishing barbless makes it MUCH easier to release a salmon. Because you have never hooked a salmon before, don't underestimate how much jerking around they do when they get close to you. I've seen people make an awful mess trying to get a barbed hook out of a fishes mouth. By fishing barbless, when the salmon is in close, you can simply slide your fingers down the leader until they meet with the hook, then give the hook a little twitch and out it comes. Because it's barbless you don't need to worry about a jerking salmon hooking the fly in you! Also, as a new angler there's less fear of hooking yourself if you fish barbless. I remember taking a rookie fisherman to hopsital years ago with a barbed bomber in the cheek. So that's my two cents. Good luck Moose!
Thanks guys. I actually pearsed my ear last week..lol..no bleeding though. I think I'll do barbless, especially since I don't care to keep fish. All my flies are barbed so I guess I will pinch the barb down flat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks guys. I actually pearsed my ear last week..lol..no bleeding though. I think I'll do barbless, especially since I don't care to keep fish. All my flies are barbed so I guess I will pinch the barb down flat.
Good call Moose. The other benefit to fishing barbless... if you have a monster on and you don't want to wear him out, after a few minutes of fun you can break the leader, knowing that the hook will come out very quickly and easily. I know people always say a barbed hook will also eventually 'rot' out of the fishes mouth. But personally, I feel better knowing the hook will come out that much easier. For a catch and release fisherman, trust me it feels much better. I've released 45 fish this summer (hooked a total of 76), and I would say the number released would probably be ten fish higher if I was fishing barbed, but I feel much better. I can't wait for you to sucessfully release your first fish! I'm sure you'll do fine. Don't forget to let your rod 'do the work for you'. Keep your tip up, and when the fish runs your rod will naturally bend towards the water. But you never want your rod pointed straight at the fish because that means there's no play with your line (and the fish will likely break loose). You'll figure it out! Make sure you're buddy has the camera ready... I sure wish I had a pic of my first salmon.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good call by Green Butt on the barbless. I personally don't find that barbs hurt a salmon's mouth that much, but if you fish salmon you will invariably hook parr, and some of them can't shake themselves off. They are extremely fragile, and a barbed hook through the eye or through the top of the head is a dead parr, and potentially one less salmon that will return. With barbless hooks you will almost never kill any parr, and most will be able to get off the hook without you even having to bring them in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good call Moose. The other benefit to fishing barbless... if you have a monster on and you don't want to wear him out, after a few minutes of fun you can break the leader, knowing that the hook will come out very quickly and easily. I know people always say a barbed hook will also eventually 'rot' out of the fishes mouth. But personally, I feel better knowing the hook will come out that much easier. For a catch and release fisherman, trust me it feels much better. I've released 45 fish this summer (hooked a total of 76), and I would say the number released would probably be ten fish higher if I was fishing barbed, but I feel much better. I can't wait for you to sucessfully release your first fish! I'm sure you'll do fine. Don't forget to let your rod 'do the work for you'. Keep your tip up, and when the fish runs your rod will naturally bend towards the water. But you never want your rod pointed straight at the fish because that means there's no play with your line (and the fish will likely break loose). You'll figure it out! Make sure you're buddy has the camera ready... I sure wish I had a pic of my first salmon.

Tight lines.
Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm today when i landed him. I was fishing alone so it definately made things easy. No pic though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congratulations Moose!! You're pretty casual about it though...this is a great thing, your first salmon, but we need details! Were you fishing Cache area? My son and I were there for a while this morning and there was a lone fisherman on the island.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts